Chop the top on my 1947 Ford Pickup - Page 6 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2010, 11:16 AM
car enthusiast

Last journal entry: Future Build: 1927 Dodge 5 window coupe
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
Another way is to "glue" your glass in with an edge moulding ,they come in many different widths and not use the big fat seal at all. The way theyre done today
Do you have any pictures of the glued in windshields? The one on this ford is a 2 piece windshield, that's why i felt the angle that i currently have in the pillar is still doable. I know too that i cut to high up into the curve, but it is a little late to recut. So i am going to make the best of this and like someone stated earlier, i will move onto other parts of the top fabrication and then move back to the windshield pillars....Since this is my first ever chop, i honestly think it isn't looking to bad and will not be perfect. With the tips i have just received on the backing plates and plug welds, i now know how i will line up the back of the cab for welding and the top of the roof. I just went and bought some little self tapping screws too, so i can pull the backing plate flush to the original metal and start my welding. Your guys help is greatly appreciated and with the knowledge i am gaining from this build, i think i may end up being a decent fabricator for these old cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2010, 11:30 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

On my first chop the windshield posts ("A pillars") needed to come out a little to fit the bottom. I pulled one side over and welded it, then when to other side to find that it was MORE off than the first one (because I had PULLED the roof over to weld the first one! ) so I tied a rope to it and out the barn window (yes I did it in a barn) and to a fence post. I had a few friends stand on the rope while I welded the post. Problem was that post had a different angle than the other! LOLOL, when the windshield (also two pieces like yours) was cut one was different than the other!!! Over the years only one person ever noticed it. But it was actually pretty easy to see if you stood in front of the truck.

But you honestly can come back and fix that corner with metal as described earlier. Remember, you are "creating" something here, you can do anything you want. Just weld metal on there until it all flows. We aren't talking about changing the "angle" of the post, just the inner portion where the glass fits.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DocImage64.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	49422   Click image for larger version

Name:	DocImage33.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	888.1 KB
ID:	49423  

Last edited by MARTINSR; 10-31-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:41 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

My problem with being a perfectionist is that even if nobody ever noticed, it would still bother me. You don't have to settle for it being anything less than perfect . I assume you are not on a time deadline . Take your time and rework those curves last after all the rest of the welding is completed and you will have much more pride in the finished product and be glad you took the time to make it a work of art . Allan
Old 10-31-2010, 11:58 AM

Last photo:

That is the cool thing Allen you are right on the money, just a little more time and you can fix most anything. And I am not saying to leave that curve in the window opening that way, most certainly, fix it.

It has always amazed me at how nice a home hobbyist's car will be! The funny thing is a lot of home hobbyists cars are actually better than the pros do, because they take the time to make it perfect where the pro knows that most people won't see the small imperfection. The home hobbyist hasn't learn that, thinking every flaw will be seen so they make it perfect.

Believe me, I became that perfectionist too. And I can't stress enough in my experience there is VERY little between the poor job and the outstanding job other than time spent on it. The guy who has the abilities to get in there and DO it, has the same abilities to do an outstanding job in most cases.

Brian
Old 10-31-2010, 01:12 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
the plug welds are important for strength,

Sorry!!!! but your wrong in one way.. You do not ''NEED'' to plug weld it.. for added strength.... The backing strip welded to the two upper roof top will be the added strength...To me it is a waste of time,, And just adds more heat then you need.. Put the backing strip in place, Leave a little space on your butt, Weld it right, and you ''WILL NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS''... You can do what you feel you need to.. But you will see what I'm talking about.. The plug welds Are ''ONLY'' to hold it into place while you are welding.. But if you have someone to hold up on it while you put a few tack's FROM THE TOP.. it will work.. When I was welding pipe for a living.. We used them inside the pipe.. They where called Chill rings. Never had to plug weld them into place... Do what you feel ''YOU NEED'' too.. Next someone will tell you that you need to flip the truck over and weld each side of the backing strap.. Give me a break..
Old 10-31-2010, 01:31 PM
car enthusiast

Last photo:

okay guys, i wasn't able to focus on anything else out in the shop other then that sharp angle i ended up with. So i have taken some time an reworked it. Let me know if this is looking better?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	47ratrod24 001.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	49424   Click image for larger version

Name:	47ratrod26 002.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	49425   Click image for larger version

Name:	47ratrod26 001.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	49426  
Old 10-31-2010, 02:45 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Much better..Keep pushing forward.. Your doing great..
Old 10-31-2010, 02:48 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels1
okay guys, i wasn't able to focus on anything else out in the shop other then that sharp angle i ended up with. So i have taken some time an reworked it. Let me know if this is looking better?
Wow , what an improvement , Even I could live with that . LOL ....How about it Brian ?
Old 10-31-2010, 03:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr
Wow , what an improvement , Even I could live with that . LOL ....How about it Brian ?
LOL, ABSOLUTELY, that is what I am talking about! Just make sure both sides match so it doesn't look like my truck did.

Brian
Old 10-31-2010, 04:18 PM
car enthusiast

Last photo:

schweet guys, your opinions mean a bunch to me, so i know i am headed in the right direction. I started on the other side, but ran out of time to keep going but here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	47ratrod27 001.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	49428   Click image for larger version

Name:	47ratrod27 004.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	49429   Click image for larger version

Name:	47ratrod27 003.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	49430  
Old 10-31-2010, 04:33 PM

Last photo:

You just got a big old grin out of me, YOUR top chop is looking damn good! Feels good to "create something that didn't exist yesterday" doesn't it!

Brian
Old 10-31-2010, 04:45 PM
car enthusiast

Last photo:

It sure does brian, especially when a person has a place to go to and get great information and help on doing this type of project. I was pretty concerned at first, but with all the suggestions that came forth, it is gonna be a wicked chopped top.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:25 PM

Last photo:

When I think of all the help that is available out here on the net it overwhelms me! When I chopped my truck in 1974 I was sent to a house a few towns away by a friend who knew someone who was building a truck like mine. He showed me the pictures in the 1955 Rod and Custom magazine where they chopped the dream truck. I left there with that knowledge, that was IT, that was there was.

Today I get on the net and find out how to do everything from plumbing to handling medical issues. It is absolutely amazing.

Brian
Old 10-31-2010, 07:33 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
When I think of all the help that is available out here on the net it overwhelms me! When I chopped my truck in 1974 I was sent to a house a few towns away by a friend who knew someone who was building a truck like mine. He showed me the pictures in the 1955 Rod and Custom magazine where they chopped the dream truck. I left there with that knowledge, that was IT, that was there was.

Today I get on the net and find out how to do everything from plumbing to handling medical issues. It is absolutely amazing.

Brian
Not only that Brian . What about all the neat stuff available for our hot rods . Who had a clue where to find all this stuff before the internet ?
Old 10-31-2010, 08:03 PM

Last photo:

I think the thing that amazes me most are the connections you make with "odd" cars like my Rambler and Buicks. Where I had known a couple of "Buick nuts", then along came the net. OH MY GOD, I have people all over the world who own Buicks that I can chat with. My Rambler, I ask one time on the AMC forum for some radio knobs for my 1959 American and have them in my mail box a week later!

It is truly wild, never could I have dreamt of it when I was a kid trying to find parts for my Honda C110 50.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.