Hot Rod Forum banner

Chop the top on my 1947 Ford Pickup

98K views 173 replies 16 participants last post by  mechanik 
#1 ·
Well, i am a little nervous since this is going to be the first time i have ever done this. I kind of wanted to keep the top the way it is, but everyone i show it to says i should chop the top. So, what i have done so far is; i measured off of the frame up to where i felt the rear window of the cab could be moved down without allot of changes. I then took a level and walked around the truck with the level and drew a line where i am going to make the cuts. I too measured down 4" inches since i am taking that much out of the cab. My lines are now all the way around the cab and doors. Here are the pics of my layout and i will be cutting the cab off with a sawzall.
I know before i make the cuts that i need to reinforce the cab, so i will be using heavy rebar and weld it to the inside of the cab.

Wish me luck.......oh, and i added a picture of the rims i am planning on running.

Attachments

See less See more
#152 ·
adantessr said:
We are thrilled to be a part of your project and I for one plan to continue to watch this project through to being streetable if you'll keep us posted .
Oh yea man, i will keep everyone posted as i continue with the build. No pictures today, but i have been layin some mud down on the seams from the chop....once i get a little progress done i will post some up.

#157 ·
Today i sanded around the rear window where i had welded then applied bondo. First sanding was done with 80 gritt and the second sanding was done with 120 gritt. Once i got it smooth around the window, i sprayed my primer coat and will start wet sanding around the cab corners and the rear window so that it doesn't look like there is a seam on the back of the cab.....then i will apply my spot putty if needed to fill any holes that may appear in the bondo.

Attachments

#160 ·
Yeah, sand the paint out PAST where your primer is going to end. So that your primer has adhesion all the way out to the end. You can mask it so you don't get overspray all over the place. But there is no need to mask it like that, just sand out further than you are going to prime. Something out on the outer edges like 180 or 240 or even a red scuff pad is fine. If you are going to do a nice paint job you will need to remove all that paint anyway and you can correct it all then.

Brian

#162 ·
Well i have to tell ya, this is actually allot of work. I figured i could do the job in a couple of weeks, but now it's been over a month. Chopping the top wasn't the hard part, it's all the little things you have to do to make the chop look like it really isn't there. I hate to say it, but i have kind of hit a burn out point and still feel overwhelmed with the amount of stuff i have to do to finish the chop, welding, bondo, sanding, priming, sanding, painting, sanding, etc.......anyways, here are a few pics of where i am at right now.

Attachments

#165 ·
hotwheels1 said:
Well i have to tell ya, this is actually allot of work. I figured i could do the job in a couple of weeks, but now it's been over a month. Chopping the top wasn't the hard part, it's all the little things you have to do to make the chop look like it really isn't there. I hate to say it, but i have kind of hit a burn out point and still feel overwhelmed with the amount of stuff i have to do to finish the chop, welding, bondo, sanding, priming, sanding, painting, sanding, etc.......anyways, here are a few pics of where i am at right now.
The burn out can easily happen if you don't take some time to enjoy other things . You still have a couple days of North American Wapiti season (Elk) . Take some time off and enjoy the hollidays and you will find that after the New Year kicks in you will have a renewed enthusiasm . Sometimes ya just gotta get away from it or it seems like it has taken over your life . It actually does . Have fun ..........Allan..........

#171 ·
hotwheels1 said:
That last video definitely gives inspiration. Yesterday i went out and worked on the roof section and got it about 1/2 done.
From that fourth picture it looks like you are going to need a LOT more filler! You are going to have to go out to about 18 inches wide to raise it to flat.

Ahhh, I remember my truck, it had an inch and a half of filler up there! TWO GALLONS of filler was applied before I touched it with sand paper. :)

Brian

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.