Chop the top on my 65 POLARA - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2005, 05:41 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Chop the top on my 65 POLARA

Hey there Guys, I hope you can help me. I neep some info. on chopping the top on my 65 Polara hard top. If some one has some tips it would be greatly helpful. P.S I am a liscened bodyman a very experianced custom builder, but other ideas never hurt.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2005, 07:51 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

What do you need to know? Sounds like you are more knowledgeable on this subject than 99% of the rest of us here.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:05 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,076 Times in 959 Posts
Let's trade some infomation I'll give you a tip (though you probably already know, humor me) and you tell me about the "licensed bodyman" in Canada. I know there are different countrys around the world that have very strict rules regarding what can be done on a car and by whom. I have always had an interest in the subject. It is a policitcal hot potato so you don't hear much about it. Fill me in on exactly what you mean by a "licensed bodyman" and do you have to be licensed to do body repair?

OK, my tip, remember the glass is all tempered, you can not cut ANY of the glass in the car outside of the windshield (as far as I know, check it out). This is a major factor in chopping a car like that.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:39 PM

Hi first it is nice to meet you,second . In Canada There are very strict guide lines on who can amd can not fix you vehicle. I have had three years of schooling, covering frame repair to basic sheet metal repair. With this licence you can repair heavy damaged frames. This is what is necessary to work in any bodyshop in Canada. You must also have 8500 hours in a bodyshop. Thy also offer a sheet metal forming class to learn how to maniputat metal which comes in handy seeing I own a custom shop. Hope I helped and thanks for the tip, I dont plan on cutting the glass but instead sinking the front and back glass into the cowel and deck lid.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:00 PM

Last photo:

How about the side glass? All that will need to be changed as well, you can't cut them so new ones will have to be made. Thanks for the info on the license, some times I think it should be that way here too.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:40 PM

Martinsr
I was planning to get the side glass made at my local glass shop. The only thing is that the top of the quarter glass will loose it point at the top, it will be cut flat at the top. while I am thinking about it I was trying to build an air bag suspension but I need a solenoid to let the bag inflate and deflate by a switch. I am not sure what to use however the rest of the system I have already fingered out. Any ideas?
Old 01-05-2005, 08:43 PM

Last photo:

Don't know squat about the air bag. But I have to tell you I think you have some more planning. I believe the glass in your car has a slight curature the glass shop can't make it. You could modify the car for flat glass alright, but figure in a bunch of time for that. The glass won't simply be flat on the top, not unless you plan on seriously modifying the shape of the window.

Simply bringing the top "down" will not change the "basic" shape of the window. It will change the size of the window and slightly change the shape but not "flatten" the top.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.