chopped top - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2006, 07:11 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

chopped top

i am looking to chop the top on my 57 chevy pickup but i dont know about the windshield does anyone know were to get a windshield cut or know of a place that sells them already cut.
thanks,
Brandon

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2006, 08:02 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Most any glass shop can cut your glass.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:13 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

I would doubt that ANY glass shop can cut it. Flat glass yes, but if I recall right that has wrap around windshield and it is a hard piece to cut. One way around it and one I have used on chops with that style windshield is to sink it into the cowl. That way you keep stock glass and if it needs replaced it is an easy swap, plus you don't have to worry about a glass shop destroying the glass. If you check with any glass shop, they will not be liable if the windshield is broken in the process. I think the wrap around ones were tempered glass which makes it especially tough.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:11 PM

I had my pickup chopped at Siebert auto body outside of York, NE. Did a good job pretty reasonable and put all new glass in it.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:18 PM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

Most guys that cut glass for a chop do their best but if the glass breaks that means you buy a new glass and they start over.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:16 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
Yep, I had a guy break THREE 55-59 (?) Chevy truck windshields for me before he called me! That was a $1000 lesson I won't soon forget.

VERY few glass shops can cut a curved windshield, VERY few.

One thing I can tell you for sure, DO NOT chop the top and finish it all off before you get the glass cut. You need to either make a fiberglass pattern from a windshield and cut it down to the top then use it for a pattern to cut the glass, OR, just have the glass cut first and simply chop the top to fit the glass. I highly recommend making the pattern from fiberglass first so you don't have to baby the cut glass while fitting the top to it.

Notice I said "fitting the top to the glass". Because that is EXACTLY what you do with a complex windshield like that.

Let me explain, the glass is impossible to modify other than cutting the edge off. You can't change the "shape" of the glass anyway you want, right? No, you can't, and you DO change the "shape" (but not how you want to) WHEN you cut it smaller. The outside edge of that glass will not only be shorter, it will be DIFFERENT than it was. Soooooooo the "hole" in the cab it goes into will not be the same as the glass once cut. On your truck the glass will be "laid back" when you cut it down. I am not talking about laying the glass back as opposed to lengthening the top "laying back". I am talking if you lengthen the top (and widen it as well will be needed on that particular cab) the windshield posts will go straight up and down just as before. HOWEVER, when you cut the glass down, remember the "shape" of the glass will change. Then you cut it down you have to lay the glass back slightly to make the top fit back to the cab. When you do this, the bottom corners need to be trimmed as well so it can lean back. When you do that the bottom corners on the back side will be moved forward in the "hole" on the cab and you will need to ADD metal to the cab to reach out to the windshield!

All of this is no big deal as long as you are ready for it. Make a fiberglass pattern and you will be MILES ahead.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.