Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - chopped top
Thread: chopped top
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 08:15 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
As Poncho said, the problem is usually the guy who chopped the top did as I did on my first curved glass chop, I chopped the top completely finishing all the body work THEN went to get the glass cut. When in reality you need to cut the roof down but before you are done get the glass cut then fit the ROOF to the glass. The shape of the glass can't be modified like the shape of the metal. I am not talking about the outer shape I am talking about the curvature of the glass where the cut is, as it curves around the corner for instance, this CAN'T be changed. So I chopped the top then went and had the glass cut and even though I cut the glass the same size as the hole, the shape of the hole was different and the glass didn't fit. At that point I could have gave up and cut a plastic windshield but instead I made a fiberglass template of the windshield and using it made the top fit the glass. The glass then fit in the stock rubber and it was done.

There are plenty of places around that cut curved glass, I don't know of any in your area but it will take a little searching be patient. But it is very likely you are going to need to do some work to the car to fit that glass in there.

Brian