Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - chops & glass cutting
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2006, 07:19 AM
That 6 Cylinder Guy

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Bill-e-bob,no one has mentioned it in this thread yet,but there is a book on chopping tops by Tex Smith,I would strongly reccomend it that you get one,it is very informative whether you plan on doing it yourself or have somone do it for you.
Looking at your pic,I would guess that wouldn't be a terribly hard one to do on a two door hardtop,the roof pillars don't slant outward much at the bottom,so maybe it could be lowered in one piece with the front pillars slanted back.
Some roofs must be cut in four pieces,then lowered and filler peices welded in afterwards,mine was done that way.
If you have room in the firewall,the windshield can be recessed down into it with no cutting required,but every person likes to do things in thier own way.
As somone mentioned in another thread,have the windshield done first if your cutting it,and test fit as you go,I didn't do this,and when the time came to install the glass,it didn't fit,the curvature of the roof line was a little out.
It took a lot of bending and refinishing to get it to fit,work that could have been avoided with a simple test fit here and there along the way.

Ed k6bnl,take your windshield to any good sandblaster,draw a line where you want it cut,mask off the bottom portion with a sheet of self adhesive rubber(called rubber stencil,available at any sign shop that does sandblasted signs),blast thru the outer layer till your thru to the plastic,flip it over and cut the inside with a glass cutter then snap outward,the plastic will hold it together,then cut the plastic and finsh the edges with a fine sanding disc.