Chromapremier VS Southern Polyurathane Clear - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2010, 04:39 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Since I posted an opinion of SPI products and made reference to the typical hobbyist who visits this forum.........I think a visit to my photo album and look specifically for the 34 Ford pic's might give some insight on where I'm coming from with my comments on SPI products. The '34 Ford and the '57 Chevy pictured have all SPI products except for the basecoat which is PPG. The owner of the '57 sold the car for $165,000 which was too cheap in my opinion, but it was his to sell. He didn't have the nerve for the "no reserve" auction in Scottsdale where it would have brought more. I'm not braggin' but the top coat and the shine makes the car. Yes the '57 was shot in a home-made booth, as you can see, but the key is the ability to work the product up to a week after you shoot it. Try that with PPG, Dupont, SW or any of the others.

Jim

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2010, 05:28 PM

Fordsr, is that viper red?
Old 03-07-2010, 06:18 AM

Last photo:

Rosewood,

It's Torch Red, PPG. and SPI MS clear. I have the number somewhere, but I would need to find it.

Jim
Old 03-07-2010, 12:04 PM

Last journal entry: More photos
Last photo:

chroma vs spi

Barry not only makes a great product they have awesome tech support and they all know their sh**. My first experience with the product was less than desirable, ( issues with my equipment and environment ) They actually spent time on phone and email to help me sort it out. Also advised me to try a different technique different than I was using. The results were outstanding, I have only been using SPI for about 2 years. I bought products several years from a local supplier, who is knowledgeable but not as willing to help due to the fact I am a hobbyist. My local providers caters to the collision market, however, it appears SPI can cater to both. Sure in my area they have to ship it to me. I try to keep it in stock so that is not an issue, but if I run out, I wait for it. that's how strongly I like the products (and price).
Old 03-07-2010, 09:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
just what should we recommend ? cheap second line paint . whats the point of your post ?
I really don't care what you recommend. Recommend what you think works. The point of my post was to simply inform the guy asking the question that next to everybody on this forum will recommend SPI. That means two things, it's a great product, or people are sheep. And judging by some of the people on here, I think its the former. When I redo my car, Ill probably see if I cant get some SPI.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:49 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM
There is not a single person on this board that I know of who would ever dare say anything against SPI. I have never used it, so I cant say, but any question on here about clear or epoxy will get you nothing but "SPI" answers.

BMM,
Your choice of words sounds like you have an issue with SPI, the owner, or some of the users of this forum. Your statement above is not backed up by the facts as a search of the "Body-Exterior" forum will prove.

Jim
Old 03-08-2010, 06:50 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

as i thought. you have nothing to add to the thread other than to stir up something. i guess all us sheep must know something you don't.

you got a head of my fingers fordsr , sheep don't type very fast
Old 03-08-2010, 07:42 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I do used cars,collision and resto work,I've used just about every brand of clear out there...some of the best clears I've used in my 35 yrs has been Glasurat and sikins but if I had 5-600.00 for clear I'd just buy more SPI, its that good ...If you want to do spot jobs just add some accelerator (nason works well) its as good as the best and much cheaper.If there was a better deal out there I'd be using it....getting the most out of a dollar is what I'm all about....BTW I also use DuPont bases ,and chroma clear was my choice before I tried SPI...I dont use ALL SPI products just the clear and epoxy....because they are simply the best bang for the buck.dupont has some superior products too.Fandelli has the best sand paper.But as far as SPI goes the clear itself is good enough to buy and get hooked on but when you factor in the customer service You'll see why we love it SOOO much....This is NOT the SPI board and I of all people have no reason at all to push SPI products Barry and I do NOT see eye to eye on many things ...When I feel a product is is great, I say it,without any politics, nobody elses opinion really matters to me,unless I'm looking for advise. SPI clear is worth triple the price they charge and very user friendly...customer service is hands down THE best I've ever seen.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:44 PM

Last photo:

Woah, hold on guys. I did not call anyone on this board a sheep, as I stated "judging by some of the people on here, I think its the former". Meaning its a great product. What I meant was quite of few people on this forum either paint professionally, or are hobbyists who appear to do quite nice work. If they find SPI works great, than it must be good. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Im not here to raise ****. I have no problem whatsoever with SPI, Barry, or anyone who uses their products. I've never used SPI (hopefully I'll get a chance to sometime soon), and never heard anything negative about it.

Again, all I was doing was simply informing the OP that SPI is easily the most commonly recommended product on these forums these days.

Cheers.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:13 PM

Sometimes you almost need a degree in writing to avoid a conflict,even then, it happens.I'd recommend it to any first timer too. it takes all the pressure off from screwing up 600.00 worth of clear...if you screw something up its cheap enough to redowithout a second thought but like I said its very user friendly...Anyone can do a nice job with it.and it buffs very well also....its just so much better than the other clears at that price its ridiculous...
Old 03-08-2010, 09:10 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

bmm, i gotta wear the tshirt on this one. i flat misread the part about " former" my bad and i do apologize. it's just that we get flamed pretty often over spi. so maybe we read a little too quick sometimes. that or we're just getting old .
Old 03-08-2010, 09:24 PM

Last photo:

Lol. No worries brother, I think it did sound a little like I was nay-saying SPI.

All this SPI makes me want to order some up and shoot it!
Old 03-09-2010, 07:51 AM

Once you try it you'll understand....We can be a loyal bunch when it comes to a few products we use....it seems everybody wants a piece of us and every month a new clear comes out or some other new product,trying to cash in on the newbies inexperience.most of it is pure BS ,were here to help wade through the BS and make some good choices with our experiences, good and bad....BTW,its a rare occurance indeed when so many pros can all agree on any one product,VERY rare...BUT, when they do........... its worth checking out...
Old 03-09-2010, 09:20 AM

Last photo:

Ordered up some universal clear and sealer yesterday. The salesman was very helpful and I got free shipping because the jobber in the Las Vegas area did'nt have the sealer in stock.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:48 AM

Last photo:

Painted the firebird yesterday and it turned out great with the Chromopremier base and SPI Universal clear. Whats the window for color sanding and buffing?
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.