Hot Rod Forum banner

Chromapremier VS Southern Polyurathane Clear

7K views 37 replies 12 participants last post by  deadbodyman 
#1 ·
Getting ready to paint my 68 firebird and wondering if I should use the Chromapremier clear or go with the Southern Polyurathane universal clear. We will be spraying it in a heated booth. I know that the Dupont clear is more expensive but is better that much than the SPI clear in it's clearity and application.

#7 ·
let's see. we use the product. it works excellent . it is priced fair. has great tech service. just what should we recommend ? cheap second line paint . whats the point of your post ?

#8 ·
BMM said:
There is not a single person on this board that I know of who would ever dare say anything against SPI. I have never used it, so I cant say, but any question on here about clear or epoxy will get you nothing but "SPI" answers.
ALL of the automotive paint manufacturers target the collision repair market or the big auto makers because that's where the money is. Their products are designed for the needs of this market.

Consider this...... Collision shops are usually painting a fender, quarter, etc. where matching the OEM finish and getting it out the door in the least amount of time. Matching the OEM finish means, the same film build, orange peel, no buffing, etc. All-overs are not the bread and butter of a collision shop.

The typical poster on this forum is usually doing an all-over. Usually the car will be in pieces, not sprayed under ideal conditions, (read $100K paint booth), and the desired end result to be better than the typical new car finish. Cut-N-buff is the norm here.

SPI products are designed for the needs of the custom market or restoration market and their needs are different than the collision market. This is not to say that some collision shops don't use SPI products, because they do. Not all the posters and visitors on the forum use SPI products but many do and the reason is once they have tried them they don't go back to PPG, Dupont, SW, or whatever. This is why SPI is held in such high regard on HR.com.

This opinion expressed is my own, based on my experience, having used some, not all, of the PPG, Dupont, SW line and have found the SPI products superior for my restoration needs.

I am not speaking for SPI or Barry and have no connection with the company other than a user of their products for seven or eight years.

Jim

#9 ·
BMM said:
There is not a single person on this board that I know of who would ever dare say anything against SPI. I have never used it, so I cant say, but any question on here about clear or epoxy will get you nothing but "SPI" answers.
That is because every one who has used the products realizes they are great products at a reasonable price. By your own admission you have never used SPI, so why not give them a try :thumbup: .

Vince

#11 ·
fordSR said:
ALL of the automotive paint manufacturers target the collision repair market or the big auto makers because that's where the money is. Their products are designed for the needs of this market.

Consider this...... Collision shops are usually painting a fender, quarter, etc. where matching the OEM finish and getting it out the door in the least amount of time. Matching the OEM finish means, the same film build, orange peel, no buffing, etc. All-overs are not the bread and butter of a collision shop.

The typical poster on this forum is usually doing an all-over. Usually the car will be in pieces, not sprayed under ideal conditions, (read $100K paint booth), and the desired end result to be better than the typical new car finish. Cut-N-buff is the norm here.

SPI products are designed for the needs of the custom market or restoration market and their needs are different than the collision market. This is not to say that some collision shops don't use SPI products, because they do. Not all the posters and visitors on the forum use SPI products but many do and the reason is once they have tried them they don't go back to PPG, Dupont, SW, or whatever. This is why SPI is held in such high regard on HR.com.

This opinion expressed is my own, based on my experience, having used some, not all, of the PPG, Dupont, SW line and have found the SPI products superior for my restoration needs.

I am not speaking for SPI or Barry and have no connection with the company other than a user of their products for seven or eight years.

Jim

Jim SPI makes a great clear EURO for collision shops. Th orange peel matches well and gloss is second to none

#12 ·
fordSR said:

Jim

Jim SPI makes a great clear EURO for collision shops. Th orange peel matches well and gloss is second to none

#14 ·
I did my car with DuPont Chroma Base color and had a quart of their clear to use - it was used it on my front fenders and while it did a good job, I ended up with the SPI Universal over the entire car, redoing the fenders in SPI. Again, like the poster above, my car is 'custom' painted by me - a rank amateur with better then, IMHO, acceptable results.

Dave W

#16 ·
Since I posted an opinion of SPI products and made reference to the typical hobbyist who visits this forum.........I think a visit to my photo album and look specifically for the 34 Ford pic's might give some insight on where I'm coming from with my comments on SPI products. The '34 Ford and the '57 Chevy pictured have all SPI products except for the basecoat which is PPG. The owner of the '57 sold the car for $165,000 which was too cheap in my opinion, but it was his to sell. He didn't have the nerve for the "no reserve" auction in Scottsdale where it would have brought more. I'm not braggin' but the top coat and the shine makes the car. Yes the '57 was shot in a home-made booth, as you can see, but the key is the ability to work the product up to a week after you shoot it. Try that with PPG, Dupont, SW or any of the others.

Jim

#19 ·
chroma vs spi

Barry not only makes a great product they have awesome tech support and they all know their sh**. My first experience with the product was less than desirable, ( issues with my equipment and environment ) They actually spent time on phone and email to help me sort it out. Also advised me to try a different technique different than I was using. The results were outstanding, I have only been using SPI for about 2 years. I bought products several years from a local supplier, who is knowledgeable but not as willing to help due to the fact I am a hobbyist. My local providers caters to the collision market, however, it appears SPI can cater to both. Sure in my area they have to ship it to me. I try to keep it in stock so that is not an issue, but if I run out, I wait for it. that's how strongly I like the products (and price).

#20 ·
shine said:
just what should we recommend ? cheap second line paint . whats the point of your post ?
I really don't care what you recommend. Recommend what you think works. The point of my post was to simply inform the guy asking the question that next to everybody on this forum will recommend SPI. That means two things, it's a great product, or people are sheep. And judging by some of the people on here, I think its the former. When I redo my car, Ill probably see if I cant get some SPI.

#21 ·
BMM said:

BMM,
Your choice of words sounds like you have an issue with SPI, the owner, or some of the users of this forum. Your statement above is not backed up by the facts as a search of the "Body-Exterior" forum will prove.

Jim

#22 ·
as i thought. you have nothing to add to the thread other than to stir up something. i guess all us sheep must know something you don't.

you got a head of my fingers fordsr , sheep don't type very fast :D

#23 ·
I do used cars,collision and resto work,I've used just about every brand of clear out there...some of the best clears I've used in my 35 yrs has been Glasurat and sikins but if I had 5-600.00 for clear I'd just buy more SPI, its that good ...If you want to do spot jobs just add some accelerator (nason works well) its as good as the best and much cheaper.If there was a better deal out there I'd be using it....getting the most out of a dollar is what I'm all about....BTW I also use DuPont bases ,and chroma clear was my choice before I tried SPI...I dont use ALL SPI products just the clear and epoxy....because they are simply the best bang for the buck.dupont has some superior products too.Fandelli has the best sand paper.But as far as SPI goes the clear itself is good enough to buy and get hooked on but when you factor in the customer service You'll see why we love it SOOO much....This is NOT the SPI board and I of all people have no reason at all to push SPI products Barry and I do NOT see eye to eye on many things ...When I feel a product is is great, I say it,without any politics, nobody elses opinion really matters to me,unless I'm looking for advise. SPI clear is worth triple the price they charge and very user friendly...customer service is hands down THE best I've ever seen.

#24 ·
Woah, hold on guys. I did not call anyone on this board a sheep, as I stated "judging by some of the people on here, I think its the former". Meaning its a great product. What I meant was quite of few people on this forum either paint professionally, or are hobbyists who appear to do quite nice work. If they find SPI works great, than it must be good. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Im not here to raise ****. I have no problem whatsoever with SPI, Barry, or anyone who uses their products. I've never used SPI (hopefully I'll get a chance to sometime soon), and never heard anything negative about it.

Again, all I was doing was simply informing the OP that SPI is easily the most commonly recommended product on these forums these days.

Cheers.

#25 ·
Sometimes you almost need a degree in writing to avoid a conflict,even then, it happens.I'd recommend it to any first timer too. it takes all the pressure off from screwing up 600.00 worth of clear...if you screw something up its cheap enough to redowithout a second thought but like I said its very user friendly...Anyone can do a nice job with it.and it buffs very well also....its just so much better than the other clears at that price its ridiculous...

#26 ·
bmm, i gotta wear the tshirt on this one. i flat misread the part about " former" my bad and i do apologize. it's just that we get flamed pretty often over spi. so maybe we read a little too quick sometimes. that or we're just getting old . :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.