Hot Rod Forum banner

chrome bumpers

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  hp246 
#1 ·
58chevy panel looking at chrome bumpers and grill from all the truck mags are they all the same ?? bumpers and grill are painted right now, When I did my 68 gto I sent my bumper in to have rechromed which way did anybody go? bumpers are white now going black or blackcherry with truck was thinking about just blacking out everything?
Thanks

#2 ·
The first thing I would do is assess the condition of the bumpers on the truck. Are they decent? The old chrome was pretty tough, can you save them? It's tuff finding a decent chromer today, it's expensive to get a decent job well done. The chrome on that truck makes that truck, they are beautiful vehicles when done right, and that's with some stock chrome, IMO. Google, go to images, type in your make and year of truck, step back in awe..lol. Dan

#3 ·
68ragtop said:
58chevy panel looking at chrome bumpers and grill from all the truck mags are they all the same ?? bumpers and grill are painted right now, When I did my 68 gto I sent my bumper in to have rechromed which way did anybody go? bumpers are white now going black or blackcherry with truck was thinking about just blacking out everything?
Thanks
Not sure if you are looking at repops or shops specializing in inventoried chrome bumpers. There is at least one major company located out of California that specializes in re-chromed bumpers that they sell from stock (Their work is ok for a driver, but wouldn't want it on my hot rod or show car).

When buying repopped stuff, it is usually off-shore, and the workmanship just isn't up to standards. Often the stuff just doesn't fit.

If you truly want chrome, have yours evaluated by a good chrome shop. many times they can repair yours and make them better than new. If yours aren't in good enough shape,. shop for a good core that you can have re-chromed by a quality shop. A lot of quality shops will have resources for these cores.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.