chrome moly roll cage - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2007, 02:40 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

chrome moly roll cage

hello to all..
how can I tell if I have a chrome moly or mild steel roll cage in my car??
and...how can I tell what the thickness of my roll cage is if I have no exposed ends??
thanks..U.D.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2007, 02:53 AM
Change is Opportunity!

Last journal entry: One More Seat
Last photo:

Well uncle dave, DOM Molly has no seam so if there is no seam line you could have a molly cage. But DOM steel is also (drawn over mandrel) and it has no seam either. The good news is both of these products are plenty strong for a cage application unless a racing orginazition requires moly. Moly tends to be a little darker in color but not always. Ive been buying German made moly and it is very light in color. I build Offroad Racing Frames, and for years we had to drill a hole in the frame so the SCORE officials could look in and measure the thickness. Now days he has an ultrasound device that reads the restance of the metal and thus the thickness of the tube.

Last edited by Metal Twister; 09-01-2007 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:27 AM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Left Front Fender
Last photo:

I know NHRA requires different minimum wall thicknesses for carbon steel and chrome moly.

If you have to know for sure, check with companies that x-ray pressure vessels. Around here, most of them also perform positive material identification. PMI is a non destructive test which shoots x-rays into the metal and then reads the way the "reflect" to determine what atoms are present and in what percentage. You will have to check with them if they can and are willing to do your cage. They will give you a reader sheet with the results. Does not take the place of a material test report, but if you just need to determine if it is chrome moly or not, this should do it for you.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:49 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

If you have a very clean grinding wheel on a bench grinder and some clean samples you can do a spark test. It is still very tough tell even from this. Mild steel has a red spark with few bright stars and molly will be somewhat brighter and more bright stars. It's still hard and even experts can be fooled. I do it side by side then have someone switch samples. I miss about 25% so I'm only a bit above guessing. haha.

On a bare unblasted chassis moly is smooth and a slight OD green gray where mild steel will more black gray. Drill a 3/16 hole with a slightly dull bit and you can tell right away. You might be lucky just to get thru molly where mild steel you can "wear" it thru.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.