Hot Rod Forum banner

Chrome trim for dash?

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  hp246 
#1 ·
Chrome trim for dash?

It was suggested that I repost this on the interior form.
I'm designing a custom dash and I would like to have chrome or polished SS edge around the opening for the instrument cluster. The opening is currently a rectangular shape with .8 inch radii on each corner.
I see plastic edge trim and adhesive backed trim advertised, but I'm not sure how good it will look.
1) Can someone recommend an edge trim, or adhesive backed product that would work well in this type of application
2) Would the product bend around the .8 inch radii or do I need to increase the radii?
3) Is there another option you have used to make such a frame?
Thanks

#2 ·
Can you make the trim piece from a piece of sheet metal?? Seems to me that may be the best option..piece of aluminum flashing could be cut to shape for a template and make the finished piece from stainless and polish it..

Sam

#3 ·
I've used the chromed plastic edge trim. It is what it is. The more gradual the curves, the better it seems to work. On tight curves, it tends to twist just a bit, so it doesn't look uniform. If you are going to have a seam, you want to be very careful and use a new razor blade. Keep your cut as square as you can. If you are doing a truly custom ride, I'd look at some stainless steel options.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.