Hot Rod Forum banner

Chrome trim removal on 73 Mustang....

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  onebadmerc 
#1 ·
Does anybody know how to get the chrome trim off the back window on a Mustang Coupe? I don't remember how I did it last time, 14 years ago when I painted my 71 Mustang. I tried by pushing a flat tipped screw driver under the chrome and pushing on it real gently, but it started to bend. I don't want to mangle it all up and I need to get it off so I can put in a new rear window gasket and clean all the paint and rust up around it. Any suggestions on taking it off?

#3 ·
I believe that the trim is held on with small metal clips that are attached to pins. They are released with a special tool made for that purpose. It is a wing shaped tool with a handle. The tool is about $10.00 at any auto parts store. I have also used a tool that Sears sells as a cotter pin remover. It is simply a hook shaped tool that will get under the trim to release the clip.

#4 ·
It has been quite a while since I have done this, but as memory serves me right I did use one of those wing shaped tools to remove the trim on my 71 Mustang. I think I have one of those tools, I just forgot what it was for, it has been sitting in my tool box for over a decade collecting dust. Thanks adtkart for jogging my memory.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.