Chrysler 300m overheating - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2009, 06:06 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Chrysler 300m overheating

Hi, my daughter has a 2000 Chrysler 300m, 3.5L. It was overheating so she took it to a local mechanic in her area. He told her that it needed a water pump and while doing that he would suggest replacing the timing belt. His price was reasonable, but to help my daughter, I told her that I would attempt it. I replaced the water pump and as suggested, changed the timing belt and the thermostat. After completing the work, I started it up, topped it off with coolant and let it idle for about 30 minutes or so. I took it for several rides around town lengthening the distance and increasing speed on each trip. It seemed fine. The next day, I started on the 45 minute drive to my daughter's house. About 8 miles out, it started to heat up again. I turned around and headed home but it overheated to the point that I had to stop, luckily at a friend of mine who is a mechanic by trade. His thought was that I put the thermostat in wrong or the thermostat was bad. The next day, I took the thermostat out (It was installed properly) bought a new one, tested it in a pot of water on the stove and installed it. To my dismay, the same problem. It was suggested to me that it has a blown head gasket or a cracked head. When it overheats, the water bubbles back into the reservoir. Which supports the head gasket theory, but there is no odor or moisture at the exhaust, the engine runs very smoothly, the oil is clean and the anti-freeze is clean. I did an unscientific
test to the radiator. I poured water through the top hose and caught it in a basin from the bottom hose. It seemed to flow ok, but is it possible that it needs more flow?

Also, the bottom hose on the radiator never gets hot. Would a blown head gasket cause a disruption in the flow of water to cause the bottom hose to reach only a temp. of about 85 degrees while the top hose is close to 200 degrees? This is before the fans kick in. When the fans go on, the bottom hose goes to about 45 degrees. Ambient temp was about 45 degrees also.

Is it possible to appear to have no outward signs except overheating and still have a cracked head or bad gasket?

There is a testing device to check for a blown gasket or cracked head. It checks the gasses coming out of the coolant reservoir. Are they accurate? How about the sealers that are on the market? Do they work in some cases? I have only used a so called fix for a leaky tranny, and it did not work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dennis

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2009, 06:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

You could have air in the system. Im pretty shure those have a bleeder right near the thermostat housing. You may want to open that bleeder when it is cold, start it and try to get any residual air out of the system by working with that bleeder. The bubbling you see may just be due to the coolant boiling. The lower hose not getting warm at all indicates the thermostat is not opening and there is no circulation.
Good luck

Chet
Old 02-07-2009, 06:34 PM

Chrysler 300M overheating

Hi, thanks for the reply. I did bleed the air out via the "bleeder valve" that you stated. I am confident that all the air was out. As far as the thermostat, I tested it before I installed it, plus it was the second one I put it. Don't know where to go from here.
Thanks, Dennis
Old 02-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Well if that lower hose is cold, the thermostat most likely is not opening. If its not air, something may be mechanically not allowing it to open, housing to tight, not seated properly, wrong gasket etc. Have you tried putting the original thermostat back in.
Those can be a real pain to get the air out of. I have been there on a few cars. One of those fill kits can also help. it is a big bucket that connects to the radiator or the tank in your case. It sits above the engine. You fill it and it usually will force any air out and allow the system to fill completly. You didnt have an overheating issue before you started so it is not likely you have a blown head gasket or anything like that. You need to look at what you did and the symptoms. My opinion is air trapped under the thermostat. I know it probably seems unlikely to you but it is a common issue on those engines and others with that same design. You could also try drilling a small hole in the thermostat to allow air and coolant to pass through it before it opens. This can sometime aid in eliminating an air or steam pocket under it.

Chet
Old 02-07-2009, 07:11 PM

Hi Chet. There was an overheating problem before I did any of the work. That's why I started with the water pump. As far as s stuck thermo., I tested it and found it ok. In my case, the thermo is in the bottom hose connecting to the block. Because of the difficulty of installation of the thermo, I staked it to the housing before installation. I am confident that it is not binding. There is no thermo on top of the engine that I know of. What we would call the "goose neck" is open inside. Nothing inside. If the thermo were stuck, would it not overheat faster than what it does? I had it idling in my driveway for an hour last night. Very frustrating isn't it.

Thanks,Dennis
Old 02-08-2009, 08:40 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-bassman
Hi Chet. There was an overheating problem before I did any of the work. That's why I started with the water pump. As far as s stuck thermo., I tested it and found it ok. In my case, the thermo is in the bottom hose connecting to the block. Because of the difficulty of installation of the thermo, I staked it to the housing before installation. I am confident that it is not binding. There is no thermo on top of the engine that I know of. What we would call the "goose neck" is open inside. Nothing inside. If the thermo were stuck, would it not overheat faster than what it does? I had it idling in my driveway for an hour last night. Very frustrating isn't it.

Thanks,Dennis
The fact that you were having issues before hanges things a bit.I was thinking of the 2.7 that has the staton the top. You can check for a blown head gasket with a CO sniffer in the radiator fill. It is still troublesome that the lower hose never gets hot. This indicates a lack of circulation. It is also odd that you said it was ok for a while, the first short trips you took it was fine. Does the heater work, this is also an indication if you have any circulation or not.

Chet
Old 02-08-2009, 09:30 AM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

The 3.5 engine you are working on has warping head issues. I would bet dollars to donuts they are warped enough to cause you overheating problem. I usually have to mill at least .007"-.009" to straighten them up.

R&Ring those heads can be involved and requires a special tool to align the cams. Do it wrong and bent valves will result.

tom
Old 02-08-2009, 10:51 AM

Thanks for all the help everyone. I sort of expected the worst. The car isn't worth the effort to fix. My daughter was wanting to get a new car anyway. Trade in is only about $1600.00. Just one last thing. I'm not much for the "mechanic in a bottle" thing, but this Steel Seal I see advertised, states that it will fix a blown head gasket or cracked block. Will it help, to some extent to allow the car to be driven about 40 miles back to her house? Or is a warped head in a different category than gaskets and blocks? Also, shouldn't we see some moisture coming from the exhaust?

Thanks for the help, Dennis
Old 02-08-2009, 11:22 AM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-bassman
Thanks for all the help everyone. I sort of expected the worst. The car isn't worth the effort to fix. My daughter was wanting to get a new car anyway. Trade in is only about $1600.00. Just one last thing. I'm not much for the "mechanic in a bottle" thing, but this Steel Seal I see advertised, states that it will fix a blown head gasket or cracked block. Will it help, to some extent to allow the car to be driven about 40 miles back to her house? Or is a warped head in a different category than gaskets and blocks? Also, shouldn't we see some moisture coming from the exhaust?

Thanks for the help, Dennis
That sealer may work, but it's also great at plugging radiators, heater cores, etc.

tom
Old 02-08-2009, 05:32 PM

Last photo:

Hi Bassman,I'm a chrysler/dodge mechanic and am very familiar with your problem.Your orig.post said the engine runs very smooth and the oil and coolant is clean,if vech has high mileage or over75k and only overheats with prolonged driving,i would suspect a radiator plugging up.it will flow enough to keep it cool at idle or short trips,but just keeps getting hotter the more you drive it because it just can't flow enough to keep it cool,we replace alot of radiators for this very problem.hope this helps..
Old 03-21-2009, 08:31 PM

Overheating

Hi i've been having overheat issues as well and have been searching around for answers. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that i need to replace the radiator. The hoses are fine and not leaking. I found this on Autozones website and just thought i'd mention it. I'm not sure if it would cause your issues... Pearlman55 could probably tell you more on the subject.

- The OEM thermostat is staked in place at the factory. To ensure proper seating of replacement thermostat, carefully remove the bulged metal from the thermostat housing using a suitable hand held grinder. It is not necessary to restake the replacement thermostat into the thermostat housing.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:30 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I'm with the radiator theory.

If it's worth throwing a buck fifty at the thing, fix it.

Otherwise throw a can of whatever in it and wholesale it.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:36 AM

overheating

Thanks for the reply. We have since ditched the car. I had the radiator reamed, changed the thermostat, replaced the water pump, and while I was at it, not that it had anything to do with the overheating problem, changed all the hoses and belts and the battery. As a last resort, I had the heads resurfaced. One head was less than .004 off, so they took .005 off of each one. We put the heads on and it seemed that the problem was solved. We drove it a few miles one day and then my wife took it through inspection and was there for about 30 minutes with the car running most of the time. It seemed fine. They put it on the dyno and did there thing, and it was still ok. My wife came home, called me and told me everything was alright. I told her to do one more thing for me and get a slow leak in the tire fixed. She left the house, went about one mile and it started to overheat again. I bought a gadget that checks exhaust gases in the antifreeze. After checking the antifreeze, I found that were in fact, exhaust gases in the coolant. In total disbelief I parked the car, called my daughter, whose car it was, and told her the bad news. A couple of days later, my daughter and her husband picked the car up drove it about 15 miles to a car dealers and traded it in on a new car. It boiled over in the lot, they gave her $850.00 for it. End of story.
The only other thing that I could think of is that the block was cracked. I have no other ideas.

Thanks for your reply.
Dennis
Old 11-04-2010, 04:30 PM

Running Hot???

Listen up Dudes- if your lower radiator hose is cold and your upper is HOT--
your problem is you have air in the cooling system - locate bleeder valve on top of manifold up front- run car hot, open valve -air will start hissing out- mixed with coolant- keep going! do this proceedure for about 20 minutes w/ motor running and turned off open valve, close valve, just keep going take your time, think about it, work it, until finally only coolant is coming out of this valve.
you may need to refill tank w/ coolant as you go to proper mark...
NOW turn it on see the gauge is perfect just below halfway mark---FEEL the lower hose--It will be nice and hot also.. Problem solved!

you can pay pal me a few hundred bucks if you want.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:44 PM

Last photo:

300m over heat

had similar problems,replaced radiator,no more problem.modern rad cleaning not verry good,unless every tubis roded wont be any good.with cold lower hose it tells you the watter is staying in the rad to long du to restriction,then the watter pump cavitates as it cant suck the water fast enough,this will apear as bubles causing hot spots in engine and over heating.to bad you gave up,but we all have these frustrting incedents. cliff

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.