Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Chrysler 400 Vs. 440 into "A" Body
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012, 07:02 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf Wit a 440
I'm curious as to why it would cost me more to do the 400? I figured I needed to get the crank ground anyways, other than that I thought most people did their own work inside the block to accomodate the rotating assembly? The 440 came out of a 78'Van so the whole thing besides the Block is scrap metal. Thanks for your input.

Joe
Not only do you have to have your crank done (as you would on most rebuilds) but you'll have to have the mains ground down to the correct size for the 400 block as well as the counter weights cut slightly for clearance. Then you'll need a set of aftermarket pistons. If you do the 440 you don't have the extra machine work on the crank and you can use stock HP pistons. You can figure doing the 451 stroker will cost you about $500 more for the short block than doing a 440. Don't get me wrong, a 451 is a great motor especially if your going racing but for street duty the 440 will be plenty powerful enough. Considering that a stock 440 back in the day cranked out around 375 hp, getting another 75 horses or so isn't all that difficult or expensive. A late 70's 400 will cost you a lot more to get to that 450 hp. mark since its stock hp was in the 190 range. Also just because your 440 came out of a van doesn't mean everything besides the block is scrap. It all depends on the heads. If they're 452 castings they'll be fine. The ONLY major components you'll need to replace will be pistons and those won't have to be anything special. Standard hp 440 pistons are capable of getting you to your goal with the proper cam, carburation and exhaust. It's your choice of course, just be prepared for the 451 to cost you a little more in machine work and a bit more for the correct pistons.

Centerline

HotRodsAndHemis.com

"Duct tape is The Force: It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." - Anonymous