Chrysler A body question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2006, 07:39 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Chrysler A body question

Which Chrysler cars have a K member that fits a 72 Duster? What is all involved in doing a V-8 upgrade on a 6 cyl. Duster?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2006, 08:30 AM
Tow Chainer

Last wiki edit: Rebuilding an early Hemi engine
Last journal entry: cruise pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

You may wanna check into shumacker mounts. Let you use you /6 k with v-8

This is their site.
http://www.engine-swaps.com/

I am not sure on a non spool mount k that you need to change the k itself. 73 spool ones yes, but the 73 may not need much done.

Also can post on www.moparts.org message forum.

I've done the 73 duster swap, but i had a doner 73 duster v-8 to use.

An issue I had, the Throttle cable is much longer on the slant -6 cars, using it on a v-8 will have alot of twists and turns and will probably bind some. My donor had poor one so I had to visit my local old car junk yard.

As for bolting in I think Any a-body one will bolt in. Dart, Demon, valiant, duster, scamp. 73- up have spool mounts 72 prior have flat plates. As I said confirm you actually need to change it out. You may be good.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:29 PM

Last photo:

SWEEEET I'll probably give them a call and possibly go that route since I don't even have to remove the K member. I seen on Ebay, the K members are selling for more than this kit THANKS M.J.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:50 PM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I bought a V8 K member out of a 73 Skamp about 1 1/2 weeks ago for $20 at a pick and pull junkyard. I have a 73 slant 6 Dart that I am going to put a 360 in but I wanted to go the cheaper route. The K member took me about 3 hours to pull out. The only thing left attached to it was the motor and the upper control arms. It was a pain in the......but for only $20 it was worth it.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:25 PM

Last photo:

Theres a guy that lives about 15 miles from me thats a HHHUUUUUGGGE Mopar freak. He has an old 2 story tobacco warehouse that's STUFFED, PILED, and CRAMMED with Mopar parts. If you can't find it there, they didn't make it. Anyway, he has a K member for this Duster that he'll sell me for $100.00 but I am still considering going with the upgrade kit so I don't have to F@*k with removing the K member. I wonder how well they fit. Anyone ever used them?
Old 04-11-2006, 11:46 AM
Tow Chainer

Last photo:

You need more than just the kit. You really should get some v-8 tortion bars also. If you use the /6 ones you will have to crank the snot out of them to get the lift, which is a bad thing.

On the shcumaker site they say this:

"These conversions greatly increase the power and add weight to the front of the vehicle (the B/RB adds 120 lbs. to the V8, for instance). You MUST upgrade your brakes for safe operation and torsion bars for better handling. A torque strap is recommended. Some vehicles have 9" drum brakes these are not acceptable for these applications!"

Even with the k from they guy you know you should get the bars. If you get the k from that guy he may have bars, and as a bonus he may have some disc brakes (and proportioning valve and master cylinder)? Swapping the K and spindles is no harder than swapping the k alone.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:57 PM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Mopar Performance sells the torsion bars for A-bodies for around $125 you can also get them from Jegs, Summit Racing or PST. If your car is made after 1972, then you will have the larger brakes. The feds required larger front drums in 1973 and up on all domestic made cars. I would go with gettting a V8 K member, if you break one of those conversion mounts you will have to buy a new set to just replace one. If you break a stock motor mount on a V8 K frame you can get it at most parts store for under $20. The one thing that will definitely need to be changed is the rearend if you have the 7 1/4" under your car. It will work ok for normal driving, but to many burnouts with a V8 and you will send parts everywhere. I would look around, you can find a V8 K member cheaper than $100, I paid $20 for mine at a pick and pull junkyard.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:33 PM

Last photo:

I'm going to go look at the K memebr before I make a decision. I want the car to be safe.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:26 AM
Tow Chainer

Last photo:

Mine was easy, But i found a v-8 donor duster same year. After building a few dusters I had the donor stripped to nothing in less than 2 days. Left my house a shell of it's former self.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:43 PM

Last photo:

Does any of the steering have to be replaced or upgraded?

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.