CHRYSLER BRAKE BLEEDING PROBLEMS - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2003, 01:25 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post CHRYSLER BRAKE BLEEDING PROBLEMS

I have a 1987 Chrysler Labaron with the Turbo 2.2L. I've been working on the brakes for sometime and at the point of driving the car off a cliff. I can't get the rear right wheel to bleed. I've installed a brand new master cylinder, new disc brakes, hoses, and rear pads with new wheel cylinders. I blocked the master cylinder off and have a nice firm pedal. Noticed that if I pump up the pedal real fast, I get a firm pedal but as soon as I let go, I'm back to the pedal going to the floor.

Appreciate any assistance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2003, 06:51 PM

Last photo:

you must still have a pile of air in the system, or the rear brakes are out of ajustment, did you bench bleed the master cyl? leave the cap off the master cyl and gavity bleed the system, start at RR,LR,RF,LF. hope this helps.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:08 PM

I did bench bleed the Master Cylinder prior to installing and I use a Motive Power Bleeder for the brakes. The right rear brake acts if it doesn't get enough pressure but I verified it and it's getting plenty of fluid.

I did find out that I was probably bleeding incorrectly (RR, RL, FR, FL) since the primary is RL and FR and the secondary is the opposite. I intend to bleed once more.

Any other ideas would be much appreciated.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:31 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I don't understand why you feel it is one wheel in particular. You said that you have a "new" master cylinder. Is that really a "new" or is it a "rebuilt". If it is rebuilt, it wouldn't be the first one to be bad. It doesn't sound like something that you can isolate to one wheel at this point. With the information at this point I would question the master.
Old 05-01-2003, 05:22 PM

It was a brand new Master Cylinder. I first had a rebuilt and of course it didn't work.

I agree, everything points to the Master Cylinder. Last night, I disconnected the lines to the Master Cylinder to see what kind of pressure I was getting. It came out strong the first time I push the pedal but took a few seconds to push more fluid out which leads back to the Master Cylinder. Seems as the pedal releases the Master Cylinder is blowing by somehow and after a few seconds fluid fills the Master Cylinder and works.

I removed the Master Cylinder and noticed a small amount of fluid when I push the plunger in the Master Cylinder. I think this is my problem. I know have another. Hopefully this works.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:00 PM

Last photo:

i had a old car that was doing the same thing and i unhooked all the brake lines and shot a blast of 120 psi air though the lines and rebleed the lines (for a long time) and it cleared up. this may or may not be the problem because this car had been sitting for a long time. oh i don't recomend this at all.
Old 05-02-2003, 12:20 AM

I was told the same thing. I've blown the lines free of all old fluid. I intend to flush the system with new fluid using my Motive Power Flush. Then I will bleed all brakes at the same time. I hope this works. I know blowing the lines with air is not a good idea but I've got to start from scratch.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:42 PM

Last photo:

did you ever get your brakes fixed- what was it?
Old 05-06-2003, 09:55 PM

You're not to believe this but no I didn't. I put on the new Master Cylinder, blew out the lines, flushed all the lines out with clean brake fluid then bled them once again like I've done several times before. Same thing happens, I get the front brakes and the rear left to work but nothing on the rear right. Fluid comes out but barely moves the wheel cylinder. It's like not enough fluid is being forced into that rear right brake line. Everyone I talk to and articles I've read say to replace the Proportioning Valve. I'm going to the wrecking yard and get one and hopefully I can get something to work. If not, I'm forced to have it towed to a brake shop which I really don't want to do because I know it's something real simple.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:14 PM

Last photo:

the brake line going to the rear of the car- is it just one that splits into two? i would think that it was, and you get brake on the other side so i would think it was a f**ked you wheel cyl.

but i'm not experienced in everything.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:52 AM

No. The lines are all separate to each wheel. The only thing they have in common is through the proportioning valve in that the front left and rear right (the one I'm having problems with) are on the secondary Master Cylinder through the valve and the other wheels are through the primary.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.