Chrysler owners - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 03:34 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Chrysler owners

Is there any particular reasons Chrysler Cars(Specifically Plymouths) are about 2-3 times more than any GM or Fords? What I mean is the parts. I've wanted to get a new hot rod for a while. I've narrowed it down to two different cars 70 chevelle ss and 70 roadrunner. The price of restoration parts for the Roadrunner is scary. I like the Roadrunner. Kind of makes me wanna shy away fom it and just go with the Chevelle.

I've asked a lot of people which car they choose. I get mixed responses. From the older guys who grew up in that era all say the roadrunner though.

Does anyone know though why the parts are so much more? I think I might need a little more convincing on the Roadrunner. It's a very hard decision for me.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 04:34 PM

Last photo:

chrysler costs

chrysler made 2 many different low volume engines,gm esp. chev made them the same for many years,even tho thy had isues. ford was in the midel,yblokes wher un changed for10 years,fes for30ish,small blocks (ford)for 30plus so gaskets brgs etc being very much interchangeable prices ar lower.example 289 302 use the same rings as 4in bore cheves,to a degree,versus chrysler.just look at early hemyes desoto diferent than dodge crysler diferent again,not sayeing 1 is better than the other just vews on y prices verry
Old 02-14-2013, 04:50 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,073 Times in 957 Posts
We can debate about this till the cows come home but I believe it is simply the basics of all pricing, "Supply and demand". Without a doubt hands down, not even a second to think about it Chevy has a larger following than any other car. That being said, more reproduction parts are made for those Chevy's than for any Mopar, be damned if the Mopar is a cooler car or what ever, they make more for the Chevy thus the parts are cheaper because they sell more.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
dinger (02-15-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 05:24 AM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

All unibody construction since about 1957.

Not too many survived beyond 10 years due to rust everywhere----engine and trannys were still good.
The rest of the car was shot.

Body on frame cars are really much easier to deal with in a restroation, and since about 65, the bodys alone are just as sturdy as a unibody car.

Besides----who wants to be seen in a "Stodgy Dodge"

Having owned (and prefered) Chrysler products until the 80's, this is kind of hard to say.

60 New Yorker
61 New Yorker
67 Chrysler 300----had 2 of these----my personal all time favorite
68 Road Runner
69 GTX
70 Plymouth Sport Fury GT

The lowly Satellites ( RR-GTX) were just piece of crap cars----Fun as all hell, but the damn things just fell apart.

The full size line seemed (to me) fare much better in the quality.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:21 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

If you throw a rock up in the air when it lands it'll most likely land on a 350 chevy , theres so many out there the parts are cheap...
Old 02-15-2013, 07:29 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
If you throw a rock up in the air when it lands it'll most likely land on a 350 chevy , theres so many out there the parts are cheap...
LOLOL, how true how true.

Brian
Old 02-15-2013, 09:59 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Or land in a bellybutton...no, second thought, there are more 350 Chevy's out there than bellybuttons.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
not even a second to think about it Chevy has a larger following than any other car.

Brian
I want something that nobody has. Seems like crap loads of people own Chevelles. Nobody has Roadrunners. I've never seen one driven on the street or at a car show. They have Chevelles though for days.

Good responses though guys.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan59EC View Post
All unibody construction since about 1957.

Not too many survived beyond 10 years due to rust everywhere----engine and trannys were still good.
The rest of the car was shot.

Body on frame cars are really much easier to deal with in a restroation, and since about 65, the bodys alone are just as sturdy as a unibody car.

Besides----who wants to be seen in a "Stodgy Dodge"

Having owned (and prefered) Chrysler products until the 80's, this is kind of hard to say.

60 New Yorker
61 New Yorker
67 Chrysler 300----had 2 of these----my personal all time favorite
68 Road Runner
69 GTX
70 Plymouth Sport Fury GT

The lowly Satellites ( RR-GTX) were just piece of crap cars----Fun as all hell, but the damn things just fell apart.

The full size line seemed (to me) fare much better in the quality.
Some old timer was telling me about his Chrysler 300. Told me he could run it for weeks on in hitting 6000 rpm all day and it would never overheat.

and what you said about rust. I live on the central coast. I live about a 1/2 mile from the ocean. Salty ocean air just eats car alive. I'll be keeping it in my fathers airplane hanger for safe storage out of the weather and elements.

Last edited by J-Garden; 02-15-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Garden View Post
What was your favorite out of all those cars?

and what you said about rust. I live on the central coast. I live about a 1/2 mile from the ocean. Salty ocean air just eats car alive. I'll be keeping it in my fathers airplane hanger for safe storage out of the weather and elements.
Quote:
hhaha whats the deal with that anyways? it seems as is if there's more now than ever.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:04 PM

Last photo:

Not that there is a damn thing wrong with the Chevelle, OR a small block Chevy, arguably the best overall automotive motor ever made. And the Chevelle, come on, a 60's early 70's GM "A" Body, what I believe to be the best overall car ever made for comfort, practicality, power and style.

I just like things that are different, thus I have a 65 Buick Gran Sport and a 59 Rambler.

Brian
Old 02-16-2013, 02:16 PM

Last photo:

Ya chevelles have a big following almost as big as Oprah Winfrey.

I think pontiacs are the most comfortable cars. My buddy owns a 66 gp and I've never to this day rode in a more comfortable car. I'd have to agree with Joe Oldham when he says "pontiacs were for the guys who rode in first class". I also drove a 68 GTO 400(guy was selling for $8,000 that I turned down)that was extremely comfortable.

I've been doing a lot of research talking to guys like mechanics, engineers and guys at the track about horsepower, compression, hemi heads and gear ratios. The list below is what I originally constructed before I narrowed it down to just the Roadrunner and Chevelle.

1. 1972 Buick Skylark
2. 71 Challenger R/T
3. 68 Charger R/T
4. 70 Chevelle ss
5. 71 Formula 400
6. 70 Barracuda(the E body are way out of my price range)
7. 74 Trans am

It's crazy how addicting these old cars can be. My wife thinks its an unhealthy obsession I have with my 71 Nova. Whatever though, she's jealous.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:00 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Back in those days, if you just wanted some horsepower, didnt care about the rattles, shoddy workmanship and materials.....you got a MOPAR.....If you wanted a comfortable, well built car with some horsepower, you got a GM. But, you paid a bit more for it too.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:08 AM
48 Plymouth Club Coupe

Last photo:

Let me give you an analogy that most people can relate to.

You see buying/building a Chevelle (any Chevy for that matter) vs buying/building a Road Runner (Cuda, Challenger, Charger etc) is kind of like the difference between buying a steak at Golden Corral vs buying a steak at Morton's.

Sure you can buy a "decent" steak (Chevy) at Golden Corral and the condiments like ketchup or A1 (Intakes, Headers, Cams) are cheap too, but if you want a real premium steak (Mopar) you go to Morton's. Yes the steak at Morton's is more expensive, but you get what you pay for. Same with the condiments at Morton's like blue cheese, grilled onions, red wine sauce.

Not many people can eat at Morton's any time they want to, but we all want to be that guy who can, so we settle for Golden Corral. Same goes with muscle cars, not many of us can buy/build Mopars so we settle for Chevys.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:48 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

LOL...they dont have this Mortons up here, but if they cook their steaks like Chrysler built their cars back then.....no thanks

I have eaten at Golden Corral while in the US........once. That sir is an insult to all us quality GM owners.......lol

All in jest.......we all have our likes and dislikes.....

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.