Circle Track motor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011, 11:35 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Circle Track motor

I race Super trucks on a 1/2 mile oval

I thought id pick all of you engine gurus brains.

we run the crate 350 with a 2bbl holley (mine built by VDL)

since the engine is sealed we cant change the internals nor would i want to because i cant stand to cheat.

But is there anything i could do to get those few HP by other means? the oil pan is an 8qt pan and we run it at 7 because weve heard you gain a couple.

can anyone think of anything else? the compitition is fearce!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011, 01:08 PM

Where is the engine sealed, and where do you have access to go inside, if anywhere?
Old 01-12-2011, 01:20 PM

is that Pat Mintey?

and its sealed on the oil pan, timing cover, intake and heads. you cant get into it.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:14 PM

Last photo:

Are your running the 604? Do you have to run a functional RPM limiter? Can you change the harmonic balancer? What is the trans rule?

You have to know what you're racing against, too. A legal 604 straight from GM is about 410hp. In the Southeast a legal blueprinted 604 will make 480hp, both of those number generated with a 80541 four barrel. We also dont have to run RPM limit so most engine are run at about 6600-6800
Old 01-12-2011, 04:24 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

I heard this once, not sure if it's true or not. It was that if you run the exhaust to the side of the car just at the edge of the body that it would give you a couple extra hp by doing something with the back pressure. Like i said, i don't know if it's fact or not, i'm just throwing it out there.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:36 PM

its the Iron heads 602 crate motor. and yes after a "rebuild" by a liscensed builder you gain 20-30 more hp.

You have to run the stock balancer, but no rules on pulleys.
Trans is a sealed Powerglyde with a direct link from the crank to the pump (no torque converter)

I have the exhaust ran out the door, its a 4" pipe about a foot in front of the RR tire.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:37 PM

O no rev limiter, it floats the valves around 6500. the valve springs are only 90lb springs and have to be changed every other race (40 laps long)
Old 01-12-2011, 08:44 PM
9.82 @ 139mph

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Is there anything driven off the front crank pulley. How does the carb get its air (outside or under hood). Any restrictions on limiting air to rad. Any restriction on lightweight drive line components (beyond Glide)
Old 01-12-2011, 08:57 PM

air cleaner is a 2"/12" K&N there is no restrictor. the hood has a small scoope.

Spec drive shaft (weighted often in tech inspection)
stock ford 9" rear end, ive though about thinning the outside of the axles because the only rule states you cant "gun drill" them

the water pump is driven from the crank and the power steering off the water pump. there is no alternator. and we have a mini pump for power steering.

could i gain anything from running mini belts?
Old 01-12-2011, 09:15 PM
9.82 @ 139mph

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersonRacing44
air cleaner is a 2"/12" K&N there is no restrictor. the hood has a small scoope.

Spec drive shaft (weighted often in tech inspection)
stock ford 9" rear end, ive though about thinning the outside of the axles because the only rule states you cant "gun drill" them

the water pump is driven from the crank and the power steering off the water pump. there is no alternator. and we have a mini pump for power steering.

could i gain anything from running mini belts?
Drive the water pump and power steering with electric motors. I would fab. an air box around the air cleaner in manner to allow air to enter form the scoop only (in large scoop if necessary)
Old 01-12-2011, 10:36 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Header design is an art and science and some can be picked up there if the primaries are the correct length and diameter..I would make my primaries about the size of the exhaust valve and then play with the lengthe until I got them tuned in for the rpm that you are running..

Sam
Old 01-13-2011, 07:42 AM

Last photo:

I would try to get the rules changed to allow a valve spring change. I have 3 604 on the floor that broke springs or retainers, so a change to a specific CC spring and retainer is now allowed. We are also allowed to change to a SFI conforming balancer.

There are some very specific headers for the 602 from Beyea that help.

If you can run a diff like a TrueTrac, that will free up some power on the straights.

I think most of your improvements are going to be in the chassis. There are some gains to be found with aero work on a 1/2 mile track. Look into the super low friction ceramic wheel bearings.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmsport
I would try to get the rules changed to allow a valve spring change. I have 3 604 on the floor that broke springs or retainers, so a change to a specific CC spring and retainer is now allowed. We are also allowed to change to a SFI conforming balancer.

There are some very specific headers for the 602 from Beyea that help.

If you can run a diff like a TrueTrac, that will free up some power on the straights.

I think most of your improvements are going to be in the chassis. There are some gains to be found with aero work on a 1/2 mile track. Look into the super low friction ceramic wheel bearings.
Yea we have to run a spool rear end and a spec gear.

the aero is a good idea, there are 4 truck bodys and the one we have is the least aero dynamic.

Ive got no problems with my chassis setup we Qualify in the top 5 top 3 every weekend. Hell the last race we broke the track record XD

the competition is so fearce were just looking for every little thing.

and yea the truck community has been trying to get different springs for years. I really dont understand it, the gear we run doesnt allow us to rev over 6100-6200 on the straights. and if you saw the engine compartment and the header design, its a real pain to do springs...
Old 01-13-2011, 03:51 PM

Last photo:

ok, a couple ideas.

On your air cleaner, if you can run bigger, do it! i run a 5x15 inch on my dirt circle car. Take a piece of alluminum, and cut it so it blocks off the front of the filter, rivet it to the air cleaner. it should cover the front 1/3 of the air cleaner. This will help the carb pull air in from the sides, where 2 barrels like to breath from, and will result in a couple more ponies at high rpm.

If you can, run 180 degree headers, I'm guessing your running a crossover header now. But if you cant try and get a set of stepped headers, also good for a few more up high.

Try indexing your spark plugs, also something thought to help gain a couple hp.

What weight oil are you using? if its really thick, go a weight lighter. Use lighter weight oils in your rear end too. I use hydraulic oil in the trans on my car, 3 speed saginaw, just cause its lighter and a little more slippery.

can you use a 16 volt battery? could be worth some more spark at high rpm.

if your willing to push the rules, you could try a higher ratio rocker arm, or maybe sneak in some stiffer springs, or better lifters.

those are my thoughts! hope it helps!
Old 01-13-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRoy1978
ok, a couple ideas.

On your air cleaner, if you can run bigger, do it! i run a 5x15 inch on my dirt circle car. Take a piece of alluminum, and cut it so it blocks off the front of the filter, rivet it to the air cleaner. it should cover the front 1/3 of the air cleaner. This will help the carb pull air in from the sides, where 2 barrels like to breath from, and will result in a couple more ponies at high rpm.

If you can, run 180 degree headers, I'm guessing your running a crossover header now. But if you cant try and get a set of stepped headers, also good for a few more up high.

Try indexing your spark plugs, also something thought to help gain a couple hp.

What weight oil are you using? if its really thick, go a weight lighter. Use lighter weight oils in your rear end too. I use hydraulic oil in the trans on my car, 3 speed saginaw, just cause its lighter and a little more slippery.

can you use a 16 volt battery? could be worth some more spark at high rpm.

if your willing to push the rules, you could try a higher ratio rocker arm, or maybe sneak in some stiffer springs, or better lifters.

those are my thoughts! hope it helps!
nice ideas.
ive gota run the small filter but i can try the screen.
ill try the indexing the plugs
i run VR1 racing oil

and the rocker arms and springs are checked regularly so i wounldnt do it anyway =/

thanks for the suggestions everyone

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.