Clarke welders bankrupt - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2009, 09:43 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Clarke welders bankrupt

I was talking to the guy behind the counter at our local farmers Co-Op about why they no longer had the Clarke MIG welders in the store and was told they were out of business, can't even get parts for them anymore! I did a quick search on the net and sure enough they went under apparently around the first of the year but I checked their web site and it is still up. This was discussed at another site I visit and I was told the site never did go down but if you call them you will get a recording apologizing for any inconvenience and an explanation, that while not worded exactly like this, says that they are a victim of the bad economy. I really hate to hear this because it seems these things were a really good machine at a very affordable price and indeed the one I got to try out was impressive even for a machine costing a lot more. I truly hope this is not a sign of times to come and something that might spread to the red and blue welders!

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=29185

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Seeling the cheap stuff is the way out the door I have found..Even though times are tough one needs to get enough for his products and services to stay in business..hard lesson for some..I expect that Miller wiil still be around as they are holding the line on pricing even though sales are down..Dunno about lincoln as they have gotten into the discounting market..
Guess that fascination with cheap is coming home to roost..

Sam
Old 07-06-2009, 10:20 AM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi,
It figures they'd go under, a descent machine at a reasonable price, I bought one over a year ago, works flawlessly & is easy to move around.
Rich
Old 07-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

That's to bad,My friend had bought one,And you can't control the heat as good as a Lincoln.I wouldn't waste my money on one.. It may get you out of a bind,But there's a big difference between the two.

Oh... he ended up giving it to one of his family member's..And bought a Miller

Last edited by NEW INTERIORS; 07-06-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:31 AM

Last photo:

Weren't Clarke's manufactured in Italy and Clarke USA merely a distributor?
Old 07-06-2009, 11:38 AM

Last photo:

they dont seem to have gone bust over here.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:51 AM

Last journal entry: time flies
Last photo:

i bought a craftsman welder and it is made by clarke....works great so far no problems.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:15 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
That's to bad,My friend had bought one,And you can't control the heat as good as a Lincoln.I wouldn't waste my money on one.. It may get you out of a bind,But there's a big difference between the two.

Of course there can be a problem with anything but the reviews on Clarke welders has been overwhelmingly positive, both here and on other sites. Those Clarke welders were not comparable to a cheapo China welder and were/are actually very good machines for the price, far better than the Chinese junk. The one I used had no issues at all with current or feed control and the arc was as stable as any small machine I have ever used but I suppose anything, even if it is red or blue, could malfunction.

Actually Clarke is just an importer of "econo" tools and the welders are just a part of what they sell. Since they are in a chapter 11 bankruptcy maybe the welder part to the line will end up being sold here by someone else, I doubt that the factory in Italy that makes the things is going to shut down.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:38 PM

Last photo:

Like I said..It will get you out of a bind...As far as using one everyday..You can have it.A weekend welder, won''t even know that there's a difference..
Old 07-06-2009, 01:06 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10V8 UK
they dont seem to have gone bust over here.
Good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
Actually Clarke is just an importer of "econo" tools and the welders are just a part of what they sell. Since they are in a chapter 11 bankruptcy maybe the welder part to the line will end up being sold here by someone else, I doubt that the factory in Italy that makes the things is going to shut down.
That's what I though. In conjunction with S10V8's confirmation they're still around in Europe, a bargain clearance price on a Clarke welder might be worthwhile option for many then.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:22 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I hate to hear that, I have had one for around 3-4 years and have had absolutely no trouble with it, a very good welder.
Shane
Old 07-06-2009, 05:19 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
Like I said..It will get you out of a bind...As far as using one everyday..You can have it.A weekend welder, won''t even know that there's a difference..

I probably would not consider one for a professional shop but then they are not aimed at that market. Small body shops, home DIY's, farms, etc are the places where these things would be best suited but, even though they are not in the same league as a Miller or Lincoln, they do offer a lot for the money. A lot of guys may not use more than a couple of LBs of wire a year so one of the "Big Three" would be a lot more money spent unnecessarily. IMO they fall solidly between the Miller/Lincoln/Hobart machines and the cheapo Chinese junk and are a very good option for those on a tight budget, far better than wasting what is spent on Chinese imports.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
I probably would not consider one for a professional shop but then they are not aimed at that market. Small body shops, home DIY's, farms, etc are the places where these things would be best suited but, even though they are not in the same league as a Miller or Lincoln, they do offer a lot for the money. A lot of guys may not use more than a couple of LBs of wire a year so one of the "Big Three" would be a lot more money spent unnecessarily. IMO they fall solidly between the Miller/Lincoln/Hobart machines and the cheapo Chinese junk and are a very good option for those on a tight budget, far better than wasting what is spent on Chinese imports.

I just hate to see someone fall for the $100.00 cheaper machine.When they can have a much better machine for a $100.00 more..There is a alot of people that give up welding because of a cheaper machine.When learning to weld the better the machine the easier it is to learn.I have helped
many people that gave up,Because of either a 110 unit or a machine that just was cheap.Sorry for speaking from experience..But if oldred say's it's good,Then it's got to be good....Good luck with yall machine.. I have said way to much already..

Last edited by NEW INTERIORS; 07-06-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:12 PM
V8 Beetle & Hovercrafts

Last photo:

That sucks, I have a 180 amp 220v Clarke welder that I bought about 1.5 years ago and it works great for the price. I love it actually I couldn't afford a miller, but the clarke is perfect for me working on the V8 beetle here and there and making trailers etc.....

Sure it doesn't compare to the Miller I have at work: single or 3-phase, 240/480 mig/stick/tig, but then again I couldn't justify spending $5,000-$10,000 for a home shop welder that I'd just be using now and then........ While at work I use it daily as an industrial mechanic, now and then 10hrs straigh..... I'm sure that would kill my little Clarke LOL. Heck if I had that kind of money to spend, my V8 beetle would be finished by now.... LOL

Plus if I have something I can't weld with the clarke I can always bring it to work

Looks like maybe I should look into getting some spare parts for my clarke????

Talk to you all later
Old 07-06-2009, 09:18 PM

Last photo:

The 180 clarke is $579.99
The 180 Linclon is $649.00

Not much difference..To have a better machine.And a name brand that may never go under..

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.