Classifieds hard to find had to look here to even find them - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders Site Suggestions and Help
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2008, 11:04 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Classifieds hard to find had to look here to even find them

I looked all over trying to find the classified the other day, couldn't believe you don't have a classifieds here. Kept thinking over the last couple days how odd it is to have a automotive forum with NO classified section at all...

So I came in here to suggest the site should have one... And then saw the two year old link in here to the "new classifieds section". and then I noticed the link up top.

Maybe its just me but I think most people are used to seeing the Classifieds as a forum link (like between "the dump" and "suggestions"... for instance). I'm no forum noob, I'm a mod on Jeepstrokers.com and I'm on dozens of other forums... If I didn't find it until looking here...

Might help explain why there are so very few ads... 50 ads in the engine parts section? 67,000 members here and there are 50 parts ads? My local Mustang club has more parts ads with 1500 members.

The HAMB has FIVE THOUSAND in parts for sale... and guess where their classifieds link is? Right below the main forum topic.

Advertisement

Last edited by 1bolt; 03-26-2008 at 11:13 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2008, 02:09 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bolt
.........The HAMB has FIVE THOUSAND in parts for sale... and guess where their classifieds link is? Right below the main forum topic.
There's a reason for that, but you wouldn't like my take on it.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:18 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Good for the HAMB..........more power to them. You will also notice that The HAMB has other advertising all over the place. Our administrator takes great pride in keeping this site advertisement free and free for its members to use.

We are not here to buy and sell....We are here to supply information on hotrodding. That is our primary goal.................thanks for your concern.

Budget RVs
Old 03-26-2008, 02:46 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I thought it was very easy to find...its listed at the top of the page right below the site name. Maybe its time you got some glasses.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:36 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Wiki Edits: 7314

Not sure what the HAMB ad expiration time is, but keep in mind that longer ad expiration dates can increase the perception that there are "more" ads.

This has been mentioned before. I'm willing to consider it -- what do others think?
Old 03-26-2008, 03:56 PM
Lost in the 60's

I think if its not broke...don't fix it...I think its fine just like it is.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:02 PM

Last photo:

I agree.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:03 PM

Last photo:

For what its worth I didn't expect to be pounced on, obviously I'm just a 3 post newbie that's only been reg'd for a couple months. So how dare I suggest something...

Glasses? Well maybe... Also maybe its a spot some people don't pay attention to.? Like I said maybe I'm alone (not judging from the daily traffic there). Most of the time links under a title are advertisement's or not central to the forum itself... You know like Wiki, T-shirts, Photo gallery and the other stuff I only now just noticed while writing this. This isn't the only forum I've been to and totally ignored the links under the title... So far this is the first one where something of actual interest was there.

Not interested in classified? Then why bother having them at all? If you're going to do something why do it half way?

My local and small Mustang club has more daily traffic. Not broken? Ok if you say so. Let me ask you have you ever put an aluminum intake on an engine? Was the iron one broken?

Okay maybe it's because the average member here is hard core and fabricates everything and doesn't want or need to buy used hot rod stuff.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Lost in the 60's

We must be doing something right as this is the largest Hotrodding site on the Internet. We did not pounce on you...you pounced on us coming in here boasting about your Mustang forum and running down the site layout. Very nice considering it was your forth post. You won't win a lot of friends like that.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bolt
.....My local and small Mustang club has more daily traffic......
In your dreams.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:43 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Highrise
We must be doing something right as this is the largest Hotrodding site on the Internet. We did not pounce on you...you pounced on us coming in here boasting about your Mustang forum and running down the site layout. Very nice considering it was your forth post. You won't win a lot of friends like that.
Give me a break, I mention sites in my experience that have examples of lively classifieds sections. It's called supporting an argument with an example not boasting.

I guess this is less of a suggestions forum and more of a "pat us on the back we are perfect and can't be improved" forum.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:33 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
In your dreams.
LOL whatever man as I write this there were 6 new posts on the 26th on NOVA mustangs and there were 200 views compared to Hotrodders classifieds which had 3 new posts on the 26th with 27 views between them.
http://www.northernvirginiamustangcl...splay.php?f=27
So we have a little over a QUARTER of the classifieds traffic and half the posts of a small local club.

Compare to the HAMB classifieds on the 26th with over 75 new posts (quick count was 79 but I was counting fast) with THOUSANDS of total views (I didn't bother to count, hundreds for each ad). That's not counting any multiple replies within the ads.

Go look yourself if you don't believe me. If you don't see that as odd for hotrodders to be that tiny then nothing I say will possibly change your minds.

If you took offense because I mentioned the HAMB consider that I'm a noobie on both sites and have no alliegence to either. Any rivalry or WHATEVER between here and there is completely unknown to me. And frankly most cross forum rivalries exist mainly in the minds of Mods, the users don't give a crap. And I...

Well I'm sure you guys will be telling me to go over there if I don't like it here... That's sad, why would I waste my time and energy making a suggestion here if I didn't like it here?
Old 03-27-2008, 08:37 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
Not sure what the HAMB ad expiration time is, but keep in mind that longer ad expiration dates can increase the perception that there are "more" ads.

This has been mentioned before. I'm willing to consider it -- what do others think?
This post was made by our site administrator............he is asking for opinions. A couple of other people have given theirs...maybe there are more.......

Advertising/classifieds is not a big thing here....In my opinion, a more open classified format would lead to all kinds of commercial advertisers jumping into the classifieds that are supposed to be for private sellers. We have a hard time as it is dealing with business people trying to slip things in. We pride ourselves that this site can be run and maintained with minimal outside advertising......and maintaining this site is not cheap................Hope you can understand that.

Budget RVs
Old 03-27-2008, 08:42 AM

Last photo:

1000's of views mean nothing. It's the number of unique views/visitors that matters.

FWIW your club appears to rank # 10,225,989 on Alexa compared with hotrodders at # 197,855 and the H.A.M.B at # 127,263.

But take a closer look at these stats:

Quantcast:

hotrodders: http://www.quantcast.com/hotrodders.com
the H.A.M.B.: http://www.quantcast.com/jalopyjournal.com
fabulous Mustang Club: http://www.quantcast.com/northernvir...ustangclub.com ...... oops NO RANKING as less than 2000 visitors.

PS Your wonderfull club has a typographical error in the website title unless it was intentional that when you visit the site it is called Northern Virginai
Old 03-27-2008, 09:14 AM

Last photo:

It's not my club, I am not boasting about it, it's an illustration... Less than 2000 unique visitors? Kinda proves my point. twice the posts and 3 times the views in the classified on that day compared to Hotrodders which has a bazillion times more traffic. The HAMB has HALF the traffic as here, yet about 13 times more posts in the classified. I'm not boasting on the HAMB. I have less posts there than here. And I've no intention of trying to fit into some sub culture.

Thanks for the stats.

Poncho thanks for the explanation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.