Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   Clay bar question (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/clay-bar-question-211274.html)

Groucho 12-29-2011 03:02 PM

Clay bar question
 
Is the yellow different in grade than blue? Which is which? Thanks

1ownerT 12-29-2011 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groucho
Is the yellow different in grade than blue? Which is which? Thanks

What Brand?

I have used Mothers (yellow), Zaino (light red/pinkish), and Maguires (pale yellow/cream) and prefer them in the order I listed.

Groucho 12-29-2011 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1ownerT
What Brand?

I have used Mothers (yellow), Zaino (light red/pinkish), and Maguires (pale yellow/cream) and prefer them in the order I listed.

No-name stuff on ebay. It's only $5 with free shipping and I already have 5 full bottles of the instant detailer that's used for lubrication. But, it's no good to me if it'll scratch my car if it's for extreme issues only

Centerline 12-29-2011 04:34 PM

I've always been somewhat suspicious of clay bars. There's something about them that just doesn't pass my logic test. They say they pick up impurities from the paint surface but these "impurities" then somehow magically disappear and don't harm the paint as they are rubbed across the surface as you continue on with the clay bar process. Am I missing something with this?

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby

Groucho 12-29-2011 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Centerline
I've always been somewhat suspicious of clay bars. There's something about them that just doesn't pass my logic test. They say they pick up impurities from the paint surface but these "impurities" then somehow magically disappear and don't harm the paint as they are rubbed across the surface as you continue on with the clay bar process. Am I missing something with this?

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby

Hey, I'm with you in theory. But, they do work VERY well. I was of the same belief with those California Car Dusters that EVERYONE seems to use at shows. But, let's try to keep this thread on track so I can make a decision. Thank you

bentwings 12-29-2011 05:11 PM

I haven't used a clay bar on my custom paint streetrod but I don't think it would hurt it at all. 18k miles and I don't have any swirls or polish scratches. I wash the car a couple times a week and after any long cruise plus it waxed about every 2 weeks.

Now my dualliy is another story. It gets filthy dirty on the highway and after washing I use the claybar about twice a year. The clay bar does wonders for it. the truck is black and 11 yr old and it looks new after the clay bar rub.

cullencombs 12-29-2011 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groucho
Is the yellow different in grade than blue? Which is which? Thanks

Depending on brand my guess would be yellow is a light or mild clay. Every blue color that I have used has been more aggressive.

BTW non believers, I've used clay on super soft black paint and haven't ever saw a scratch caused by claying the paint. The secret is to use tons of lubricant. Also there is no better way to rid the paint of contaminants.

cucumber1949 12-29-2011 08:03 PM

If the clay bar scratches or marrs your paint, you are not using it correctly. A clay bar will not repair scratches or swirl marks, and it shouldn't create any either. The clay bar is merely removing contaminants that sit on paint and don't come off with an otherwise standard car wash effort. The contaminants are sheared off and picked up, and then held in the clay as the bar glides along on the spray detailer/lubricant. This keeps any of the contaminants which are transferred from the surface to the clay from momentarily 'digging' into the paint as they are picked up. The surface of the paint should feel smooth as a flat, clean mirror, and claying a finish should be followed up with whatever wax/protectorant you use as the process tends to remove existing wax, glaze etc.

1ownerT 12-30-2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groucho
No-name stuff on ebay. It's only $5 with free shipping and I already have 5 full bottles of the instant detailer that's used for lubrication. But, it's no good to me if it'll scratch my car if it's for extreme issues only

I've never used any of the ebay stuff, they may be perfectly fine.
I haven't had any issues with the three I mentioned scratching the paint. Start with a clean surface and as others have said use plenty of lubricant/detailer. The Zaino I have uses a mix of their car wash soap and water, I tried it with the Mothers bar and it destroyed the bar.
There is a night and day difference after using it. It isn't only for extreme cases.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.