Clean cam before install - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2010, 07:52 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Clean cam before install

I just got a new cam and lifters and it says to wash the rust preventative off with mineral spirits. That's not something i usually carry around with me on a regular basis, so is there anything else I can use that will work?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2010, 07:59 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I usually don`t bother to wash it. Never have. But if you feel you must just use gas on a rag and keep away from any sparks for a while.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:02 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373
I just got a new cam and lifters and it says to wash the rust preventative off with mineral spirits. That's not something i usually carry around with me on a regular basis, so is there anything else I can use that will work?
Mineral spirits is used because it's much less of a fire hazard than many solvents, used in the amount required to clean off a cam well.

Every hardware store sells mineral spirits as paint thinner/cleaner, and it's not expensive. I'm not going to say to use kerosene or especially not gasoline because of the obvious fire hazard involved.

Just go get some mineral spirits and be done w/it. Another option would be to use brake cleaner. Diesel reeks- you'll rue the day you brought a gallon of that crap into your work area and your hands will stink for a day or two unless you had gloves that kept it off you. Kero will work, but there's the fire hazard- not so much the liquid, but if it's misted into an air space, you can get a significant ignition. Gasoline is a definite no-no, despite what we used to do back when.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:11 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

so i can use paint thinner? cuz i have that. What about paint stripper or is that something completely different?
Old 06-09-2010, 08:18 PM

Last photo:

Paint stripper (at least the kind I'm thinking of) is totally different than thinner. I'd use thinner, but not paint stripper. The anti-rust coating is likely just cosmolene. All of the solvents mentioned will remove it. WD40 is said to do a good job taking it off as well.

Tony
Old 06-09-2010, 10:15 PM

Last journal entry: Rear diff break in
Last photo:

I have always used brake parts cleaner to wash the oil off a new cam. It's $2-$3 for a can big enough to do a good job on any size cam. I used the walmart brand in the blue can last time around and it did the trick. Less fire hazard because it evaporates quickly.

I suppose carb cleaner would work too. I live a ways from the nearest wally-world, and the Napa next door shuts down at 6pm, so I usually keep a stock of 2-3 cans each of brake and carb cleaner around.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,013 Times in 849 Posts
Quote:
A can of mineral spirits is as close as your nearest Home Depot or Ace Hardware. The cam mfg is suggesting it because it is the least harmful to your lungs and to the atmosphere. Any time you use A-N-Y kind of chemicals or solvents, do it in a well-ventilated area so that you don't have to breathe the vapors.

As far as washing or not washing the cam, if you don't wash the cosmoline off it, there is no way you can get the molybdenum disulfide into the pores of the metal to help prevent early failure. Cosmoline is NOT an extreme pressure lubricant. Here's a guide I put together a while back....
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ips_and_tricks

Notice under item 17 that I have added a blurb about Comp. They now can nitride your flat tappet cam.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:34 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
so i can use paint thinner? cuz i have that. What about paint stripper or is that something completely different?
"Paint thinner" is usually mineral spirits. This is fine to use. "Klean-Strip" is a common brand found at Lowes, Home Depot, Ace and others. It will say for use with oil-based paints somewhere on the label and will cost about $5/qt.

There is also lacquer thinner that is a mix of acetone, toluene, alky, and other solvents- and it is very flammable, so don't use that.

Paint stripper is not a suitable substitute for mineral spirits, so don't use it, either.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.