Clean Environment Before Paint!!!!!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2007, 12:25 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Clean Environment Before Paint!!!!!!!

To all you expert fellows out there:
I'm planning to paint my 68 Firebird at the beginning of next week(mon,tues.) I am planning on cleaning my paint/body room in my shop this weekend. It has tin ceilings,and pegboard walls, and 4 ft shop lights. (your basic poor boor hot rod shop) We just added this on this past year and this will be my first paint job in it. I've been doing body work in it for the past 6 months and theres a great deal of dust EVERYWHERE. This may sound stupid to you guys, and I'm not an idiot I'm just curious. How is the best way to eliminate as much dust and trash and possible. I thought about dry dusting everything that i could (lights, beam, door frames, etc....) then pressure washing the ceiling and floor. I really don't want to get the pegboard wet and I was wandering if there were any tricks out there...swiffer cleaners, california dusters, whatever......I just want the cleanest environment possible to paint in. I plan on cleaning and letting the room set 36-48 hrs before painting.

Also how is the best way to minimize dust in the air while I paint. I have two windows and a 10 ft roll up door. I think to minimize dust in the air the windows should be closed and maybe a box fan blowing out the door (with maybe some central unit air filters on both sides of the fan) kinda shut the door down on the fan. Any other ideas on minimizing dust before painting would be appreciated. I'll try to post some pics in my photo album so you guys can see what im trying to clean.

thanks
southernrodder

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2007, 02:05 AM
Experienced Amateur

Last wiki edit: Automobile body and frame rotisserie
Wiki Edits: 2

What are you doing for exhaust while painting? You DO realize what a cloud youre gonna have once ya start spraying? You need a good airflow through the area youre painting in and thatll help KEEP it clean. To GET it clean, everyone has their own opinions/methods. I usually use the shop-vac, airhose, leaf blower, etc, to get rid of as much dust as I can. Then a day or so before Im gonna spray anything, Ill wash the garage out with the ol waterhose as best I can. I also built this lil filter rack to filter the incoming air and help eliminate dust/bugs before and while I paint......

Old 03-05-2007, 06:38 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

get a good leaf blower and spend the afternoon blowing it out. i do this every fri afternoon. keeps the dust down in the shop.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:24 AM

Last photo:

southernrodder,

"pegboard walls"=no way to clean the dust behind the pegboard holes=cover all with polyethylene.....

quick and easy (and cheap?) to "tent" the walls and ceiling with construction poly from Lowes/HD and a regular stapler
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	firebird_012.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	19125  

Last edited by red65mustang; 03-05-2007 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:02 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I use a shop vac and vacumn everything even the tops of the shop lights. Even though I have vacumned the floor...I always wet it down before I paint. My shop is just that..a shop...it is not a paint booth by no means...but I do paint in it.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:37 AM
Cox Custom Cars

Last photo:

Shine knows what he's talking about. I too use a gas powered leaf blower. It blows the dust off the top of everything. I will blow the shop out several times after the dust settles. Then I pressure wash the floor.

Thing is you gotta be care when you are painting, not to bang things around in the shop. Like don't decide to put tools on the peg board while you're waiting for paint to dry.

But I don't care how clean you have the shop, or even a paint booth, you're still going to get some crap in the finish.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:39 AM

Last photo:

I will use something similar to that CDJr below my roll up door. I planned on putting one or two box fans blowing outward below my door and putting filters like that on either side. You stilll think I need air coming in and going out?? I'm just affraid that that will stir up any dust that I don't get clean. And red65mustang, the reason I used pegboard is that I was on a budget and it was readily available to me for $1 a sheet, and I also like hanging tools and parts and what not on it. I wish it had tin from the floor to the roof but it just so dang expensive, but I did put one row of tin longways across the floor, just so I could get the old pressure washer in there and on the floor.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:03 PM
Experienced Amateur

Last wiki edit: Automobile body and frame rotisserie
Wiki Edits: 2

If ya got air going out, ya hafta have air coming in. And box fans arent ideal for this, as theyre not designed to overcome the resistance of air filtration...theyre simply designed to blow around free-flowing, unrestricted air. You stick a filter behind them and POOF!...no airflow. Especially a filter thats clogging up with overspray. I use a blower assembly from a central heat unit for a house. Its ideal for this since it moves a lotta air and will overcome the resistance from a good filter.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.