Cleaning an assembled engine - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2011, 01:26 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cleaning an assembled engine

I bought a truck with a freshly rebuilt engine, and with time found out several things about the truck weren't as advertised and he didn't put much of a top end to mate with the larger cam. So I wanted to check everything out.

In doing this I decided to buy a new set of heads, intake, etc. Now I have it apart I repainted it and cleaned it up, however I am concerned that even though I tried to keep it clean and to freshen up after each step that a piece of wire from the brush, or some foreign dust/dirt got into the cylinder wall or lifter valley. Especially from when I scraped the head/oil pan gaskets off.

I just got it painted and wanted to reinstall everything tomorrow. Is the best way to clean the sucker with some carb cleaner upside down on the stand? Obviously rotating through the stroke to hit all surfaces and then cleaning out the oil pan with a good wipe down?

I was going to run a few qts of oil through it to be safe just to get out dirt, RTV scraps and anything combustible. Then once partially assembled run some water through the water passages and let it drain out.

Am I missing anything, or do you have tips for a first time builder/repairer?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2011, 01:36 PM

Shop vac the cylinders, lifter valley area, and wherever else you can reach. Change the oil and fluids after "break-in". You sound a little like me, OCB when it comes to cleanliness, it'll be alright.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:18 AM

Last photo:

So I slipped one of the heads on thinking I was ready to go after cleaning it all up really well. Apparently some of the carb cleaner I was using to clean the faces of the block and head bottom was still inside a bolt hole. It got onto the gasket. Will this contaminate/ruin the gasket? Plain ole Fel-pro blue so no sealant will be used on them. My gut says I am fine, but don't want to be repeating this in 6 months due to a bad seal.

Thanks guys.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:29 AM
The Dude

Last photo:

For cleaning the block if you are having a hard time getting everything clean, you could try oven cleaner, I have seen it done before.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.