Cleaning sanding dust, car stuck in garage. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2011, 04:34 AM

Last journal entry: Got it running
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cleaning sanding dust, car stuck in garage.

I have a bunch of sanding dust to clean up on my 1968 caddy sedan deville. And more to come. Right now the car is up on jackstands and will be for awhile. Even if I got it on wheels it would be a real pain to get out and back in the garage. I don't think I could really wash/hose it down with all the other stuff in the garage. So I need to know the best way to clean it off. I plan to do a bunch more sanding work this weekend.

I have used those blue paper towels you get at walmart or the parts store. But I am pretty sure that is not enough to get it cleaned off. It cuts down on the dust, but I am pretty sure it can't get it all. Shop vac doesn't seem to do much either, it does a little but leaves a bunch on there.

I was thinking of using the paper towels with some mineral spirits on them. Also maybe a tack cloth after that. Beyond that I am not sure and I am not sure of the specifics/techniques of cleaning the dust off. Is it as simple as it seems it would be? I don't plan to paint this weekend, but I would like to get it ready or more ready to paint.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 06:58 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Get two fans ,one in front and one at the back of the car blowing out the door...turn the pressure up on the compressor and blow the car off ,everywhere ,under the hood all the gaps open the doors and blow out the hinges open the trunk,etc... Then do it again while dry wiping with a shop towel...dont forget to blow the floor under the car. a long copper tube on the end of your blower will be useful blowing of things like the suspension,behind the wheels etc...You might get a pressurized bug sprayer (the kind with a hand pump) and fill it with soapy water to wash the whole car and rince without a big mess.
After everythings all dry wipe it down with wax & grease remover then use a blower and a tack rag and paint...
Old 07-07-2011, 07:23 AM

Last photo:

Just cover the car up.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:50 AM

Last journal entry: Project 92' Eddie
Last photo:

If you can just staple some plastic sheeting to the ceiling to make a wall on each side of the car. Then open the door get crazy with the blow gun. My shop vac works great for body dust, maybe you need a new or clean your filter. Get an old clean paint brush and use it to "stir" up piles as you suck it up with the shop vac. Id say just a lot of elbow grease and time. Ahh the joys of body work
Old 07-07-2011, 09:40 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

When my garage gets too bad - dust, leaves, etc, out comes the 2 speed electric yard blower. If there is no car in either stall and nothing to be painted then the super power Echo gas version will do a better clean up. If the house and garage are attached, and depending on how well they are sealed from each other, you might have some dust get in the home (or at least that's what the li'l lady tells me )

Dave W
Old 07-07-2011, 12:58 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
When my garage gets too bad - dust, leaves, etc, out comes the 2 speed electric yard blower. If there is no car in either stall and nothing to be painted then the super power Echo gas version will do a better clean up. If the house and garage are attached, and depending on how well they are sealed from each other, you might have some dust get in the home (or at least that's what the li'l lady tells me )

Dave W
Must be the Tim the Toolman deal and yeah I like that idea..a biig blower and blow out as much dirt and dust as possible..DBM has it right to use a wipe cloth with W&G remover to wipe with..might take a bit of work to get it all clean again..

Sam
Old 07-10-2011, 01:58 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

the best way I've learned is clean it right away, as you're working. Have a broom and a bench brush handy to clean up in between sanding sessions. That way you don't track it anywhere and you're not blowing it around and just blowing around what escaped the major sand area. To clean it really well you'll have to sweep as much as you can, dust off the walls and elsewhere, blow it out, and then mop.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:15 PM

Last journal entry: Got it running
Last photo:

One positive I have noticed is that the dust makes the cobwebs more visible. I try to keep up with them, but they grow so fast sometimes. The rafter right over the middle of my car has a few. So every once in awhile I hit them with the shop vac.

The shop vac does an ok job on the dust, but it leaves a bit down. I have been using it and then those blue shop towels before priming a section. It seems to be enough for this stage. I bought some tack cloths that I'll use before painting. I don't know how far down the road that will be, but I hope to have all the cracked paint taken care of by this next weekend. Which is basically the trunk area. There are some isolated spots elsewhere, but most of it is on the back end. Then there are the dents to deal with. Which means a slide hammer because none of them seem to be where there is just one layer of sheet metal. But that is a problem for another day.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.