Cleaning tarnished aluminum - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2011, 06:03 PM
bentwings

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cleaning tarnished aluminum

My underhood polished aluminum is really getting tarnished. I've tried a number of polishing compounds but nothing seems to work. The valve covers are die cast aluminum. These were pretty nice when new but have been a real pain to even keep clean. They look terrible now. I got after them with some metal polish today and all that happened was the tarniish got polished. Even after using a buffer.

Help!!! What can I use to clean this mess up???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 06:26 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentwings
My underhood polished aluminum is really getting tarnished. I've tried a number of polishing compounds but nothing seems to work. The valve covers are die cast aluminum. These were pretty nice when new but have been a real pain to even keep clean. They look terrible now. I got after them with some metal polish today and all that happened was the tarniish got polished. Even after using a buffer.

Help!!! What can I use to clean this mess up???
I hope someone can come up with a solution. I asked that very question a couple years ago and it ended up with polishing with Meguire's or Mother's, neither of which helped that set of mid line valve covers - and as you said, polished the defects. I replaced that set with "premium" Billet Specialties, and while they aren't as bad, still have the white speckles and a haze that just wont buff out. One cure is to chrome plate them, but I prefer the somewhat muted tho shiny billet aluminum look. The other is to take them off and put them to the buffing wheel.

I've been thinking about that some over the past while - none are actually billet aluminum, but cast. It's my gut feel that while we can buff/clean them today, that tomorrow, next week or .... they will be as bad. Those white spots and 'speckles' are caused by entrained oxygen during the pour in some cruddy plant with little quality controls in some Far Eastern country, causing oxidation through the porous surface.

You can see how bad mine are here:

Dave W
Old 12-16-2011, 09:12 PM

Last photo:

Here's a product I found while looking to get the water spots and tarnish off of my tri-toon boats pontoons....and yes I was skeptical at first. It's called "Gords Polish" and can be found at www.gords.us. You use the polish and #0000 steel wool and BELIEVE me it really works. I had to stop using it on my pontoons because they started to get too shiny.

I've used it on my satin alum. '32 gas tank cap and my PRC radiator...shined them up to a highly polished finish that you can see yourself in. Gord's website has video's of polishing up very badly tarnished semi truck wheels, big oil field tankers....all kinds of stuff. Look at the web sites and make your own decision. It was around $35 for the big 32 oz. bottle but the Gords.us has it for $29......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2081.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	757.7 KB
ID:	60868  
Old 12-17-2011, 02:13 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

You cI can also order smaller quantities of this.

Ireland...you VC's are beautiful compared to mine. haha I can see some spots that are the beginning of the mess I have.

I can have the VC's chrome plated pretty reasonable but I'm not convinced that it will be the solution. I think it is poor quality of casting. My wheels polish up very nice as does the blower scoop.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:28 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

What you have to do with tarnished aluminum, is sand to down below the affected areas. The tarnish is actually pitting (microscopic). You start with a coarser paper and work your way to super fine paper and then polish with your compounds. I restored a couple of sets of wheels this way. Its a lot of work.

Or...You can take them to a professional buffer with the equipment to do it

Budget RVs

Last edited by poncho62; 12-17-2011 at 05:57 AM. Reason: sp
Old 12-17-2011, 05:54 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
What you have to do with tarnished aluminum, is sand to down below the affected areas. The tarnish is actually pitting (microscopic). You start with a courser paper and work your way to super fine paper and then polish with your compounds. I restored a couple of sets of wheels this way. Its a lot of work.

Or...You can take them to a professional buffer with the equipment to do it
I did my RV's aluminum wheels 2 years ago with steel wool and the compounds when I bought it (used) - and they looked pretty good. This coming spring, they will need it again, but more aggressively, i.e. wet and dry papers, then a coat of clear as I NEVER want to do that exercise again.

It sounds like it's time to drag out the motorized buffing wheels and the rouge as I'm thinking that the Gord's shown above wont do the job on cast as what their advertising is promoting is mostly sheet(Airstreams, tanker bodies) and billet stock(truck wheels), not reclaimed Japanese econobox engine blocks. Still might be great stuff once it's clean

Dave W
Old 12-17-2011, 02:40 PM

Last photo:

Polished Aluminum

After you polish your aluminum use a product called Shark Hide (google it for a description) that is sold by Eastwood. Follow instructions and you won't have to polish every year. Great stuff.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:15 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

one of the best ways i have found, is to put some smaller buffing wheels on your die grinder or dremel
and get out the polishing compound-go to work
you can also just use mothers (or whatever your paste/liquid alum. polish of choice is) and smear it around with the mini buffers
get where you can, and then you can blend it in by hand, if you cant get to the whole thing
if they are really bad i have found a greasless sanding compound ( i use the 320 grit) that works really well at cutting through the tough stuff first

then when you get them pretty good - you have to just go over them once in a while (A.K.A. maintance)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-17_13-51-51_1.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	60873  
Old 12-23-2011, 09:28 AM

Last photo:

Use Brownpolymer to stop the corrosion

Once you get the alum sanded and polished you rub or buff with brownpolymer.
The alum will maintain its shine and salt water or acid doesn't have any effect on the alum. It leaves a film that's a protean Lipid membrane which organic material will not stick. Which also means that gas, oil or brake fluid will just wipe off. Doesn't collect dirt.
Thanks Randy
Old 12-23-2011, 10:37 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev
one of the best ways i have found, is to put some smaller buffing wheels on your die grinder or dremel
and get out the polishing compound-go to work
you can also just use mothers (or whatever your paste/liquid alum. polish of choice is) and smear it around with the mini buffers
get where you can, and then you can blend it in by hand, if you cant get to the whole thing
if they are really bad i have found a greasless sanding compound ( i use the 320 grit) that works really well at cutting through the tough stuff first

then when you get them pretty good - you have to just go over them once in a while (A.K.A. maintance)
This is my preferred method as well. I will wetsand with 400 grit paper on the worst areas and then start with buffing compound and die grinder. I did a set of original socal valve covers for my 51 and they turned out pretty good. The socals were never mirror polished so I just brought it back to what would have been original for the day.

If you are starting with something that was once mirror polished it should get there again with some work. It took me about 3 hours of solid work just to do two valve covers.

I'd finish off with mothers. It will take any of the compound residue off and I think it is one of the best out there for final polish.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.