Hot Rod Forum banner

Cleaning up stainless steel

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Bluepen 
#1 ·
OK, This is probibly a no brainer but its been awhile so I'll ask anyway. I'm getting ready to drop my stainless steel fuel cell in place and need to know what can I use to clean it up alittle. It does not have to be show car quality. Its just got some welding scorch marks and layout lines on it. Should I just use a wire wheel on it, I won't screw it up will I?
I know silly question but I still needed to ask.
Thanks

David

#2 ·
The blemishes are only cosmetic and will come off very easily. What is the finish on the tank? If it is satin, then the blemishes will polish off with an abrassive. Find an aggressive rubbing compound like Dupont #7 or a proper grit of wet-or-dry sand paper (600?, 1000?, 1500?) that gives the proper patina. If it is polished, use the #7 compound to get rid of the blemishes then buff it with a cotton wheel in your electric drill using stainless compound. You can get the buffing materials at auto parts or hardware stores for cheap.

#4 ·
Thanks

Thanks guys, I'm putting the last two coats of poly on all the wood panels and trim and it will be about 4 hours between coats. Sounds like a good project for tomorrow.

Thanks again
David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.