Hot Rod Forum banner

Clear Base coat vs Clear Top coat

12K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  waterdude 
#1 ·
What's the Big difference between these two paints(2k Urethane) beside UV light protection? I was told that Clear coat its just paint without pigment....

can Clear coat stick to primers or do I need to put clear base coat first and then clear coat if I want the look of shiny gray primer?.. :welcome:

#3 ·
Intercoat clear is basically a basecoat paint resin with no color added. It is soft, and easily damaged. It is not meant to be used as a top coat, so it is not tough enough to stand up to the weather, or to protect a paint job like a top coat clear does.

Yes, you can clearcoat over primer, but you need to talk to your paint store about the kind of primer, and kind of final clear, and how the topcoat should be used over it.

#4 ·
TucsonJay said:
Intercoat clear is basically a basecoat paint resin with no color added. It is soft, and easily damaged. It is not meant to be used as a top coat, so it is not tough enough to stand up to the weather, or to protect a paint job like a top coat clear does.
but Sherwin W has a "Mixing" clear base coat that needs to be catalized..they use it to mix it with base coat

somebody told me that clear base coat behaves more like base coat than clear coat and will stick to whaterver base coat can stick, but clear top coat can only stick to base coats... :smash:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.