Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Clear Coat Adhesion Problems
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 08:58 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I don't know what the cause was, nor have I used any products from paint for cars. Not knowing those products, what exactly you did and used.

First off, why are you adding so much crapola to your base and clear?
Fisheye elimanator is used as a last ditch attempt to cover a paint job that has already fisheyed. I don't use it. You are also contaimating your gun for future jobs, as your basically adding silicone to the paint. It also may be some part of the reason for all that orange peel you got. Fisheye elimator tends to cause it to spray with more orange peel.

Same with adhesion promotor. No reason to really use it, if you prep and do a thorough job sanding, its not needed. And everyone I ever used, you spray the adhesion promotor on first, not add it to the paint. The only time I would consider using it is on certain problem plastics- tpo, where its needed to help primer or paints to stick, it lowers the surface tension.

Could be many causes for loss of adhesion. Poor prep, not enough clear mil thickness, sprayed to dry, improper use of products-incompatabilitys, too little time between coats, too much time between coats (chemical adhesion).

Its important to have the product data sheets for you products, and read them and follow them. Many use different companys products together (cept should use the correct hardeners), and most different companys primers, basecoats and clears seem pretty compatable with one another, but your always taking a chance if you stray from manufactures instructions and recommended products. Get a mixing stick or mixing cup from a paint jobber to mix paint to the right ratio of paint, hardener clear. There are many good brands of automotive paints- basecoat, clearcoat, primers, and I suspect they would have better information about proper use of the products (product data sheets) and support, and likely improve the chances of success.

As far as what to do now that its peeling, at bare minimum you will have to go down and take off what ever isn't adhering. If its the clear that isn't adhering to the base, you will have to take off the clear and go down at least to the base. And you will have to respray the base. Not only will sanding the base likely leave you with a blotchy looking base when recleared, if the base has been exposed at all, its no longer good, and you can't just reclear, or you'll likely have the same problem.

Last edited by kenseth17; 09-07-2010 at 09:05 PM.