Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Clear Coat Adhesion Problems
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 06:52 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDAA
I was there to watch the clear go on, as well as come off.

So, BarryK, just to clarify, you are saying that the orange peel was caused by solvent trap, etc, and NOT applicator error? I want to clarify because there's some people on another forum insisting it was caused by applicator error and I'm sure that is not the case, as I watched the clear flow as it went on and it flowed fine and the peel only appeared after it started to dry.

Also, I'm wondering if contamination in the air lines could have contributed to this at all?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

That is exactly right, you cannot lay clear slick and then it orange peels.

As you said, it started to peel as it dried, usually base will cause this problem in 4-24 hours but have seen it take 3-5 days to show up, it depends where the solvents were trapped at or in what coat of base.
3-4 days normally means solvent was trapped in the very first coat, overnight means base did not set long enough before clearing.

99% of times, airlines can cause the fish-eyes, if any cleaning was done at all.

Only applicator error other then flash times is the playing of bench chemist with all the crap added.