Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Clear Coat Adhesion Problems
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 10:17 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Here's what I have learned....

According to Google searches and posts on Mustang Forums and Jeep Forums, it's not uncommon for clears made by Trinity 1945 AKA www.paintforcars.com to peel off in sheets. Most people reporting the problem have seen the peeling take place 6 to 12 months after their vehicles were sprayed.

Given the overall "bad juju" that silicone can cause when it comes to automotive painting, adding the the Fish Eye Eliminator (FEE) to the base coat may have accelerated the peeling process.

None of the other people who have reported the peeling problems with Trinity products have gone into detail on the prep work steps that they took. Nobody else mentions the use of FEE or AP in their bases (this may be uniquely stupid to me).

At this point, I am lead to believe that the clear coat would have peeled off in sheets even if the prep work and application were done perfect.

As for the cloudy clear coat, I feel something was left out in my explanations above. Most of the truck had been wet sanded prior to the buffing that took place a few days a go when everything lifted. I don't know if that will change your opinion on what happened or not.

Regardless of what may have caused this horrible paint reaction, I hope others can and will learn from this thread and my mistakes.

As far as flash times are concerned, the way I was taught, and I realize this may have changed in the last 10 years, was to allow 20 minutes between coats. However, when spraying an entire vehicle, you can effectively go nonstop because it takes on average 20 minutes to circle the whole thing. We actually stopped and took considerable breaks between coats.