Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Clear coat cracking
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 05:55 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,124 Times in 998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Your absolutely right Brian...it's so hard to tell and that's why I was wondering if the cracking was anywhere else. In many cases like this, if the person who painted it saw what was happening and he was honest, the paint problem would be solved immediately. If it's only the hood that's cracking (not the sides, not the cowl not the tops of the fenders or any adjacent panel) the painter screwed up. How about this...the truck got painted, everything looked good except the hood, maybe to much dirt, a big bug right in the middle of the hood, whatever. The truck had to go and they had to put everything back together so take the hood off, re-shoot it while the other guys reassemble the truck....the painter pounds the paint on, throws the hood on the truck and see ya later. I've seen that happen more than once in a body shop (not the cracking paint part so much but taking a hood off to repaint it while the rest of the truck is getting the bumpers headlights grill etc. put back on it so it can leave a 5 o'clock)
Oh heck yes I have a ton of examples. But lately I had a pretty funny one. Our old head painter at work (he stepped down and rightly so) would match a color and then paint the car and the color wouldn't match, even though it did on his spray out card. I showed him, I explained to him that this was PROOF that he was spraying it different, the application was some how different and he just never got it, just never could understand that the color isn't going to change unless YOU spray it different, being drier, wetter, less coats, SOMETHING is different about how you are spraying it if the spray out car is different than the fender you paint with the same paint in the gun for crying out loud! But he just never could grasp it. It was easier for him to blame the paint.

Brian