Hot Rod Forum banner

Clear coat mixed with metallic

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Jallopy 
#1 ·
I've been spraying the jams with 75% metallic 25% clear coat then after it flashes I give it a coat of clear. This really works well, is their a reason why I can't spray the body like this also? But I would be spraying more clear on top of it. Would spraying the rest of the car like this create any problems?

#3 ·
Let me get this straight you are mixing the fresh base coat in with the clear, then spraying those two mixed together in the gun? I will also ask what seems to be the advantage of this rather than just spraying bc/cc. Maybe your trying to skip a lot of passes (3 coats base/3 coats clear) 6 coats dropped to 2 or 3, don't know exactly the advantage?

#4 ·
I know guys that have mixed clear BASE into colored base like that, and stepped down the color until the final pass is essentially 90% colored / 10% clear. Then 2 coats of actual clear. Cut and Buff

This is supposed to give a little depth, like an old lacquer job. Apparently the translucence mimicks lacquer to some degree. Ive never seen it in person to say one way or the other.

Also, there is a method of blending that uses clear BASE; but not clear COAT like this I believe

#6 ·
One reason it's not a good idea is that on a complete body you would have little or no metallic control, on a small area like door jambs, it's easier to control metallic's, on a hood, a totally different story another reason is that if, God forbid, you where ever in a collision, how would you match it? It's difficult enough to blend some metallic's let alone if they are layered on in clear coat.

Ray

#8 ·
I've sprayed just the metallic base an its kind of touchy an didn't look good. So I did the 50/50 thing with the base an clear an it came out perfect, then shot 2 coats of clear on top of it. Im dealing with the heat in my garage, all my reducers,activators,hardeners are slow, it like 97° every day, I wait till it cools down some around 92° So when I've sprayed base it flashes fast, 5 mins. an it ready for another coat. So I've been adding 25% fixed clear to the 75% fixed base an it takes 10 to 15 mins. to flash, an I notice how pretty it sprays, lays down even with no blotchy looking waves or spots. I let that flash an put a coat of clear on top an all is well. I've been doing this on the door & trunk jams. I feel more comfortable spraying this way. I don't see a reason why not to do the rest of the body,doors an fenders like this. So that what I'm asking,

#9 ·
Apart from the above reasons to do it like this, you could be just waisting money adding clear to the base coat as you still need minimum 2 coats to cover the last coat of metallic so you dont cut and buff back to the metallic .
If you like the 'effect' of doing it your way give it a go.

I add clear to the final coat of a SOLID colour if I find I am running out of colour and will need to cut and buff the final paint job. The extra clear gives me something to buff off without buffing thru the colour and leaving it patchy.

#11 ·
OK metalic is easier to spray than solid paint.
When you are happy that you have covered everything, reduce the final coats by about an additional 20% and spray in a cross hatch pattern " XXXX" and a wider fan setting. Dont put the final coats on wet and glossy. Tac rag lightly between these coats also.

Dont spray in horizontal lines, as you will with the clear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.