Clear coat mixed with metallic - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2013, 08:43 AM

Last journal entry: Still running strong
Wiki Edits: 0

Clear coat mixed with metallic

I've been spraying the jams with 75% metallic 25% clear coat then after it flashes I give it a coat of clear. This really works well, is their a reason why I can't spray the body like this also? But I would be spraying more clear on top of it. Would spraying the rest of the car like this create any problems?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2013, 09:25 AM

Last photo:

I have no answer but I do ask why? Also how did you arrive at the 75/25 ratio?
Old 07-11-2013, 11:48 AM

Last photo:

Let me get this straight you are mixing the fresh base coat in with the clear, then spraying those two mixed together in the gun? I will also ask what seems to be the advantage of this rather than just spraying bc/cc. Maybe your trying to skip a lot of passes (3 coats base/3 coats clear) 6 coats dropped to 2 or 3, don't know exactly the advantage?
Old 07-11-2013, 12:29 PM

Last photo:

I know guys that have mixed clear BASE into colored base like that, and stepped down the color until the final pass is essentially 90% colored / 10% clear. Then 2 coats of actual clear. Cut and Buff

This is supposed to give a little depth, like an old lacquer job. Apparently the translucence mimicks lacquer to some degree. Ive never seen it in person to say one way or the other.

Also, there is a method of blending that uses clear BASE; but not clear COAT like this I believe
Old 07-11-2013, 12:54 PM

Last photo:

Research it here on the site, there are a couple of threads 'splaining why it's not good except for jambs.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:05 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

One reason it's not a good idea is that on a complete body you would have little or no metallic control, on a small area like door jambs, it's easier to control metallic's, on a hood, a totally different story another reason is that if, God forbid, you where ever in a collision, how would you match it? It's difficult enough to blend some metallic's let alone if they are layered on in clear coat.

Ray
Old 07-11-2013, 07:19 PM

I would't think it would be a good idea to mix exterior clear in with a basecoat since the clear would need a hardener! If you mixed it with basecoat binder you would be safer, but probably hard to even out the metallic on a whole car!
Old 07-11-2013, 07:21 PM

I've sprayed just the metallic base an its kind of touchy an didn't look good. So I did the 50/50 thing with the base an clear an it came out perfect, then shot 2 coats of clear on top of it. Im dealing with the heat in my garage, all my reducers,activators,hardeners are slow, it like 97 every day, I wait till it cools down some around 92 So when I've sprayed base it flashes fast, 5 mins. an it ready for another coat. So I've been adding 25% fixed clear to the 75% fixed base an it takes 10 to 15 mins. to flash, an I notice how pretty it sprays, lays down even with no blotchy looking waves or spots. I let that flash an put a coat of clear on top an all is well. I've been doing this on the door & trunk jams. I feel more comfortable spraying this way. I don't see a reason why not to do the rest of the body,doors an fenders like this. So that what I'm asking,
Old 07-11-2013, 07:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwater View Post
I've been spraying the jams with 75% metallic 25% clear coat then after it flashes I give it a coat of clear. This really works well, is their a reason why I can't spray the body like this also? But I would be spraying more clear on top of it. Would spraying the rest of the car like this create any problems?
Apart from the above reasons to do it like this, you could be just waisting money adding clear to the base coat as you still need minimum 2 coats to cover the last coat of metallic so you dont cut and buff back to the metallic .
If you like the 'effect' of doing it your way give it a go.

I add clear to the final coat of a SOLID colour if I find I am running out of colour and will need to cut and buff the final paint job. The extra clear gives me something to buff off without buffing thru the colour and leaving it patchy.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:08 PM

I'm not looking for an effect I just want the metallic to spray well. I'm new to painting, this is my first paint project, an I'm nervous about spraying metallic.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:27 AM

Last photo:

OK metalic is easier to spray than solid paint.
When you are happy that you have covered everything, reduce the final coats by about an additional 20% and spray in a cross hatch pattern " XXXX" and a wider fan setting. Dont put the final coats on wet and glossy. Tac rag lightly between these coats also.

Dont spray in horizontal lines, as you will with the clear.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jallopy For This Useful Post:
dogwater (07-12-2013)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.