To clear coat or not to clear coat - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2005, 08:14 PM
No such thing as "Too much"

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

To clear coat or not to clear coat

I'm in a bit of a jam, and I need some advise. My paint booth is very large, it includes all of outdoors if you know what I mean. I was painting a bc/cc system when I had a boo boo. I had to stop and allow the base to dry hard and then sand a portion of it back down to primer to clean up the problem.

The issue is the weather turned on me, and dropped into the 40's with rain every day for a week after. Now the rain is stopped, but they are not predicting any temps above the 50's for a week, and it cold be for months now.

My question(s) are:
1. What will happen if I apply another coat of base and then clear coat at a temperature below 60 degress?

2. Since this is my parts running truck I'm not worried about a show quality paint job, what will happen if I just stop here and don't apply the clear coat?

Thanks, Jeepster

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2005, 09:10 PM

Last photo:

There was a recent discussion related to this. Here is the link. Crosslinking and Temperature The base really has no protection without a clearcoat, so that is not good either. The best thing I can think of is to sand the base and wait till the temp gets above 55 to apply more base and clear. But I would keep it inside and out of the elements if only in base. Either that or start looking for a heated place to paint, even if you had to rig up a temporary booth and find something to heat with. My garage isn't insulated but try to warm it up well before spraying and once its clear of overspray and clear has set a little heat again for another round.

Last edited by kenseth17; 10-23-2005 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:27 AM
No such thing as "Too much"

Last photo:

WOW, Thanks a bunch Kenseth17! There were a lot more reasons to avoid painting in the cold then I thought!

My Willys project has the garage tied up for at least two more years, so I guess that I just need to bite the bullet and wait, even if it means sanding it down and repainting. I'd rather do that then have it all back together and have to start from scratch.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.