Clear Coat Over Vinyl Stripe Kit - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2003, 03:07 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Clear Coat Over Vinyl Stripe Kit

Ok gang, I ordered a stencil kit for my 1971 442. When it came I opened it up and discovered I got a stripe kit instead. I can't return it now, so here is the plan. Spray my DuPont Chroma base, wait two hours, apply the stripe kit, then clear the entire car with Chroma Clear V7500S. Any painting experts out there that has done this? Will the solvents in the clear lift the vinyl tape off the surface?

Benji

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2003, 05:30 PM

Last photo:

You can do it, but it won't be smooth unless you put on about a trillian coats of clean and then sand it back down...vinyl is WAY thicker than paint.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:29 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

Second that. Vinyl stripes, decals and striping tape have been cleared over since custom painting was done. Like Drgnwgn stated many coats of clear with wetsanding between is the only way to get a smooth surface. With a razor blade and some vinyl mask you can make a stencil from the decals pretty simply then just try to sell the decals or keep them for later on or whatever you want to do.

HK
Old 03-31-2003, 11:22 PM

I third the motion..however...WATCH OUT! Some stripe kits are made from vinyl that release vapors when heated (like in the sun). If you put clear over this type of vinyl, it will push your clear up and either make air pockets, or push it completely off. Your paint job will look 1000% better if you take HK's advice and use the stencil kit to tape off the area you want to paint with 3M blue 1/8" fineline tape and spray the color with basecoat paint, then clear the entire car. The edge will be 'flatten-able', and the car will look right. Anytime you put vinyl on a car, when you wax it, you will get that wax white line at the edge of the vinyl where you have a hard time rubbing it back out. If your determined to use the vinyl, call the manufacturer to make sure that it's coverable with urethane clearcoat.

The 'hopper

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.