Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Clear coat questions
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 08:01 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,124 Times in 998 Posts
I did a test one time with a very accurate digital MIL gauge used for measuring paint thickness. Cutting and buffing (unless you go nuts with it and sand more than you need) cut only a half a mil off. Depending on the clear you are shooting a mil or so a coat is what you are getting. So cutting and sanding in my experience with the clear I was using (others may differ) I got less than one coat removed when I cut and buffed.

And yes, I agree, FOLLOW THE TECH SHEETS! That is why they are there, it is clearly written in the tech sheets how long to wait.

Here is the recommendations from a particular PPG clear.

Preparation
Allow basecoat color a minimum of 30 minutes and a
maximum of 24 hours before clearing. After 24 hours
the basecoat should be lightly sanded before applying

http://www.bapspaint.com/docs/psheet...line/JC630.pdf

I am NOT saying this is what you follow because I don't know what paint you are using. This is just an example to show you how simple it is, no guessing games, no asking someone only to get the wrong info, there it is in black and white. You wait a minimum of 30 minutes and a max of 24, clear as day if you'll pardon the pun.

If you google the brand name and part number of the clear you are using along with the words "Product data sheet" google should come up with it for you.

Brian