Replaced the filters in the compressor lightly sanded the clear coat on the car with 1000 grit just to scuff it up and remove any dirt nibs. Set up the gun with exactly 40 lbs at the gun Mixed the Paint 4-1-1 tried it didn't like it still too thick even though the temperature was 76 degrees today. Added another .5 reducer.
Sprayed the entire car again using a 4 to 6 inch gap between the gun and the car. Thanks Highlander I think this made the most difference in getting the clear on nice and wet without having it run. I did get one tiny run when I Doubled up on one of my overlaps. (Bad lighting) But overall this was the best pass that went on the car and there are a lot of coats on it 3 Base coats 6 Mid coats and 4 clear coats.
Changed my pattern also:
1. Half the roof
2. The other half of the roof, down the sail panel and from the edge of the door to the back of the rear quarter panel,
3. Back to the other side from the sail panel to the back of the Rear quarter panel
4. The rear deck lid in passes parallel to the sides of the car To prevent over-spray
5. The rear Bumper cover
6. Back to the other side and do the door
7. Now the other door.
8. Pull the trigger on the gun to just air and blow off the hood. ( Just in case any dirt has accumulated)
9. paint half of the hood
10. go to the other side paint the other half
11. finish painting the fender on that side
12. go back to the other side finish the fender
13. paint the front bumper cover.
By using this method I got almost no over-spay and compared to all of the other passes I put on this was great.
Thanks to everyone who helped out . The Car is still tacky but I will be going out to pull the tape in an hour and I will post a couple of pics on the How to paint candy thread you guys all helped out on.
i would clean the gun with a container of reducer
use the orifice cleaners
then mix a batch and try on a test piece.
|Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos|
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Arrrgg! Clear coat flaking off!!||dpowers||Body - Exterior||16||04-01-2008 12:10 PM|
|"Basic of Basics" How do you properly apply filler?||Centerline||Body - Exterior||2||02-10-2006 01:22 AM|
|base coat clear coat||wally||Body - Exterior||8||12-12-2005 07:44 PM|
|Sherman Williams Clear Coat Failing < 3 Years?||DeJarnett||Body - Exterior||33||12-11-2005 11:39 AM|
|Can I Spray Clear Coat Over Clear Coat ???||STATUTORY GRAPE||Body - Exterior||2||10-07-2003 10:09 AM|