Clear coating - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2009, 05:43 PM
brains

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Clear coating

I have my car done with 2 coats of clear. It has dried and I wet sanded everything down smooth. Will putting two more coats of clear on the car make the end result any more glossy compared to only having two coats?

using PPG 2021

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Last photo:

Two more coats of clear will make your base look deeper and will give you a little safety margin when color sanding and buffing. It is a fairly common practice to apply 4 coats of clear.

Vince
Old 08-05-2009, 06:47 PM

Last photo:

Maybe, but not really because you have a total of 4 coats of clear vs 2.
It comes down to distinction of image, although you could probably get a pretty good doi if you have enough clear applied cut it real flat and with proper buffing removing the scratches you put in sanding. All things being equal, same products and conditions, the more flat and scratch free the surface is, the more glossy it should appear.
If you cut that first round of clear flat and have the flat sanded clear, acting kind of like a sealer for a base, vs just spraying base then clear and stacking up texture. The base I guess you can say seems to want to suck up the first coat of clear and you often have metallic or pearl to get buried as well. Clear always seems to lay down nicer and easier over sanded clear vs a basecoated surface. Many do the very thing your asking about on show jobs ( a flow coat). I often do them, because I screw up so much, lol.
Most cut the first round of clear flat, then often use a lower solids clear for the next clearing session, to lay down as flat and free of orange peel and urethane peel as possible. But just so you know, just because you applied a total of 4 coats (two before, two after sanding), since applied in two sessions, you don't actually have 4 coats of clear to work (only 2 or however many you applied the second session) with if sanding and buffing. Often if you cut through the second layers of clear into the previously applied clear, it will leave a very distinctive ring where cut through, but it does disappear if its recleared again.
You can do a search for flow coats and here is also a thread Urethane Peel, Why we get it and OEM does'nt
Old 08-06-2009, 05:48 AM
brains

Last photo:

What grit should I sand clear before spraying clear again?
Old 08-06-2009, 06:23 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainsboy
What grit should I sand clear before spraying clear again?
320-400, but rub the new paper back onto itself to knock down the grit a little before using it.

Vince
Old 08-06-2009, 08:07 AM
brains

Last photo:

Wow that heavy of a grit on clear? I have the whole thing wet sanded with 600.

Will that be fine? no pun intended
Old 08-06-2009, 08:22 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainsboy
Wow that heavy of a grit on clear? I have the whole thing wet sanded with 600.

Will that be fine? no pun intended
Yer good to go!!! 320 --- 400 way to course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-06-2009, 09:03 AM

Last journal entry: 50 Ply wagon
Last photo:

Alot depends on how much orange peel you have in the final clearcoat. I have started with 1000, then 1500, and fianl sanding with 2000, then buff. If the CC has very little OP, then you may get away with 1500, then 2000.............320-400...you will see every scratch
Old 08-06-2009, 04:44 PM

Last photo:

I would think too that as course as 320 and you would see scratches, but others here who do good work and I trust have stated they use that grit. I think it has something to do with the fact clear has no pigment and your reapplying clear on top. I have yet to get out and experiment and try it. But with that course, I would think you would need to have a good amount of clear applied, and be very carefull around edges, so you don't break through to base. We are not talking sanding for buffing here sunset, we are talking flattening clear and reclearing. Surely with 320 for buffing you would have a very difficult time stepping down and getting those course of scratches out and also not breaking through or leaving on enough mil thickness.
A finer grit is perfectly fine, but it may take a fairly course grit if the goal is to rid of urethane peel (Moderate orange peel cuts out fairly easily, but urethane peel can prove more difficult).
For normal reclearing of a panel, I normally use 800. Your 600 will be perfectly fine as well. The ones that are going with that course are looking for something more in there paint job, with the goal of being as free of urethane peel as possible. Trying to jog my memory of some of the many things I've picked up from this site, but I think in an old thread somewhere in the archives, Barry K once after stated after doing some test panels, he found around 320-400 gave the best doi when measured with a meter.
Too bad that a few things that have happened over the years have caused many old members to stop visiting, and you don't pick up that kind of information often here anymore. Hopefully some will eventually straggle back in, as talk of things like rustoleum and people who have painted one beater car in there life, stop arguring with veteren painters who are willing to pass on tips for something more then a used car lot repair.

Last edited by kenseth17; 08-06-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:11 PM

Last photo:

no way would i ever go that corse

i block with 600 then over with 800 then 2 coats of clear

tommy
Old 08-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Last photo:

Another coat of clear will completey hide 400 sanding scratches, ask me how I know. You will never have a problem with it lifting.

Vince
Old 08-07-2009, 06:38 PM

Last photo:

Couple questions.

Can I level everything I need to with P500 grit and then just scuff everything else with a mauroon scotch bright pad?

Then how long should I wait before spraying clear again? Is 24 hrs long enough?
Thanks!!!
Old 08-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Last photo:

To avoid any potential with solvent pop after you have cut the existing clear set it in the sun for a full day. This will allow the freshly cut clear to "gas off" before applying new clear.

Vince
Old 08-07-2009, 10:47 PM

Last photo:

Great. Will the mauroon scotch brite work for the places that I don't have to level with P500?
Old 08-08-2009, 07:15 AM
Last photo:

Yes the red Scotch Brite pad will work just fine, don't get carried away with it though.

Vince

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.