Hot Rod Forum banner

Clear Runs On Edges

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  cutterbond 
#1 ·
I just got done spraying a rear door on a Lexus, and everything looked great so I clean out my gun and my paint bench, then I went back to look at the door and the dreaded clear run right by the edge of the door was there(about 3" into the panel to the edge) :(

I would usually try and bury it with clear and run it off the panel, but in this case I didn't think it would work out so well do to it's location and the shape of the door, plus I already cleaned out my gun...

So I used a piece of tape to blot off some of the excess, but I could already tell this was a probable repaint...

So I grabbed a rattle can of DuPont clear blender, and gave it a few careful squirts and and melted the run (sort of) off the panel, but it did flatten out the run to the point were I feel a little more confident I can wet sand and buff it out.

I'm hoping that it will be a little easier to sand with that blender on it.

Update tomorrow.

Anyone else try this?

See less See more
#2 ·
cutterbond said:
Anyone else try this?
Yep.

It's not exactly what you'd call best practice, but applying some clear blender can really help you out of a sticky situation. Especially when a rework is the only alternative, so you've little to lose really.

As you say, it doesn't get rid of the run completely, but it can really help stop it gathering up and producing a thick edge.

#3 ·
Paintguy said:
Yep.

It's not exactly what you'd call best practice, but applying some clear blender can really help you out of a sticky situation. Especially when a rework is the only alternative, so you've little to lose really.

As you say, it doesn't get rid of the run completely, but it can really help stop it gathering up and producing a thick edge.
Yeah, it did seem to help, and it cant hurt to try if repainting is the only other option...

Unfortunately I nit picked at it a little to long and burned through on the Lexus door edge, but it's a 2008 so I was probably going to repaint it anyways knowing that there wasn't sufficient clear build after the buff.

I really don't like comebacks, even though it would probably take a year or two, comebacks always come at bad times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.