Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - ClearCoat question
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012, 02:40 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

In my opinion that depends on the color. If it's going black or silver 400-600 is the way. There's benefit to both...adhesion or guarantee that minute scratches don't show. On one hand I can see adhesion being better with 320 and on another I can see a car cut flat to where you don't want to cut it flatter later when the sun settles everything and barely visible scratches appear. If you want the best of both worlds do 320 and leave some orange peel. Then two years later when you've added some superficial scratches and swirls through some wear and tear you have more material to cut out and shine while getting the 320 scratches out. When I do my car I'll probably go 320 cause it's white and if it wasn't I'd go 400. In any case, I'm leaving some peel initially so I can play with it later. No point cutting it flat to show off now when the darn clear helps fight UV rays. I want this baby to last and in doing so that means leaving a little meat on it to play with later. just my opinion.