Hot Rod Forum banner

clearcoat ???? question about spraying it

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  hgufrin 
#1 ·
I have NASON clearcoat to spray over my basecoat, i have been using an HVLP gun and it says on the webiste that if you have a HVLP gun, that you would spray with 8-10PSI does that make sense, to me that seems like really low pressure to me, since i sprayed the base with 45PSI

any help with this is GREATLY appreciated

#4 ·
That's 8 to 10 PSI at the cap, NOT INLET PRESSURE.
Check the specs for your gun, the recommended inlet pressure
by the mfg will be from 18 to 45 psi at the inlet of the gun
(w/ trigger pulled) to get the 10 psi at the cap.
You need a gage at the gun to measure it.
The gun drops it down to the cap so the mfg's give inlet pressure
so you have something you can measure. All guns are different
so you have to check your specs that came with your gun. :pimp:

#5 ·
excuse all of the questiuons, im obviously a novice

but when i hook the gun up to the compressor, i have a regulator(gauge) at the bottom of the gun, inwhich i set before the trigger is pulled, which i was setting to 45PSI, would i do the same with my CLEARCOAT???

i bought my gun second hand so there are no specs/instructions with it

#7 ·
your in nomans land. not experienced , no tech on the gun. heres your best bet. set the air at the gun at 40. test spray. adjust til it lays a good solid pattern. cheap guns shoot like crap even if you know what your doing so dont expect great things. just try to lay it as slick as you can, your gonna have to sand and buff anyway but the slicker the less sanding. put plenty on. start here ,3 turns on fluid - 40 lbs at the gun- 6 to 8 inch pattern at 6 to 8 inches out. good luck.

#8 ·
it was a 100 (on sale) hvlp gun......

yes im UNexperioencedm but ive always wanted to paint on my own, so im trying it, im not looking for perfection, just satisfaction. I take pride in knowing that i have done things on my own even though its not always perfect :)

as far as the gun, no instructions, dial on the back (i think the more you screw in, the less paint comes out) and one on the side which controls the spray pattern, either a fan, or rounded tip

thanks for the replies guys, you dont understand how appreciative i am of this stuff and this site

#9 ·
what i'm trying to tell you is how it's gonna happen. you cant learn on one but you can make it look good. more experience just means we shoot it a little slicker and do less sanding and buffing. my guns cost a lot but i expect a lot from them. as long as you get enough on it you can get there but you have to have enough to work on. biggest mistake is putting the paint in the air with too much pressure and not enough on the panel. sags are easier to fix than big dry spots.

#11 ·
clear is like any other paint. if you do not overlap enough or lay a wet pass it will be a dry spot, meaning orange peel or just a thin spot. these are the places you burn thru when sanding. just try to put the paint on the panel, not in the air.worry about dry spots and peel more than sags.

#12 ·
make sure to use a test panel with that clear before you apply to your car. the biggest thing to watch for in my opinion is solvent pop. If you lay it on too thick and dont have the right temp reducer it will hard on top before it has time to flash.

pop is very hard to buff out.

USE A TEST PANEL. I learned the hard way

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.