Hot Rod Forum banner

Clearing over clear

881 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Rellimniets 
#1 ·
Painting my wifes 07 jeep commander. Got all the trim off, bumpers off, etc. I can paint a car pretty well if it is a start to finish. I am trying not to have to sand and repaint the thing. The sctraches that are all over are in the clear from the previous owner I am assuming. Everything looks pretty good besides that, but I wanna build the clear up for a longer lasting paint.

My question is this. Should I sand with 320 and shoot clear or start with some 1500 and work my way up to 2500 to remove the heavier micro scratches and then clear my coats or what is the proper way?

Thank you,

Brian

#4 ·
320 is perfect if your going to use a base or paint but if you only want to use clear you can only go as coarse as 600 without seeing the sanding scratches...I would use a dry 600 da paper on that job along with a few grey scuff pads for the edges...
Wetsanding is best for a nice ,straight,custom paint job but for an everyday job the dry sanding has many advantages and the differences wont be noticed...
Still,I'd throw a few coats of fresh base on the car and get that nice "POP" no sence doing all that work and not be completely happy with what you've done. The extra 100-200.00for base coat is well worth it and the difference is very noticable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.