Clevor Boss??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2007, 07:40 PM
95 5.0 supercoupe, 81 5.0cobra

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Clevor Boss???

I have an 85 302 And I am wanting to put 351 cleavland heads on it to make it a 302 boss a.k.a. clevor engine. So how hard is it to do? what all does it involve? Is it worth it? I am running it in a 86 mustang full drag no street. so does anybody have any clues?? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2007, 07:45 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I'm no Ford guy, but I think that you would be much better off getting some aftermarket Windsor heads...................
Old 01-08-2007, 07:49 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

takes a special intake that is no longer made.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:08 PM
Meat-Head Extroidenaire

Last photo:

hey guys .. ive only herd of puting windser heads on the 302 . i have a cleavland and wow.. let me tell you.. those suckers are monsters ! i also have a spair set that i may part with

bill C
Old 01-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Bare Knuckles Champ

Last journal entry: Made a wrench...
Last photo:

Had a hand in a 'Clevor' mating 351W block with 6" Chrysler Rods, pistons from 400M, and Cleveland heads. It was a beast, and needed those heads to really take advantage of the extra stroke & aftermarket support wasn't there.

Can't see the benefit on a 302 with so many great flowing aftermarket 302 heads available that wouldn't require major mods. Cost could be negated or minimized by shopping smart, especially at race track swap meets.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:04 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I personally could not see the cost needed to convert a 302 to a CLEVOR unless it was to be a stroker. But it can be done.

Also be advised that used BOSS heads and intake are available at somewhat reasonable cost and will save you all the machining costs (bolt on).
Old 01-09-2007, 06:23 AM
floppers forever

don't 302's use a 7/16'' head bolt and a 351 use 1/2'' bolts?
just though if so there might be a problem.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:05 AM

Last photo:

stock 69' Boss "Clevor" 302= 11/1CR, solid cam and lifters= 290 flywheel HP

seems that many people have the Bud Moore prepared 70' Trans-Am car image stuck in their heads....

it was 487HP+ (14/1CR?) and absolutely nothing was stock, guessing $10,000 to build it today.....?

Camero's started winning in 68', champ's in 69'.....
302 Windsor heads were maxed out, Ford solution was Cleveland heads to win again with a 5 liter motor...champ's in 70' with the Bud Moore car

Boss 302 motor is still one of my favorites for a all round performance and driving street-strip car

much cheaper and easier today to build HP with aftermarket parts
Old 01-09-2007, 11:00 AM
aka Duke of URL

Quote:
Originally Posted by red65mustang

stock 69' Boss "Clevor" 302= 11/1CR, solid cam and lifters= 290 flywheel HP
CLEVOR- A term used to describe resulting engine assembly by installing 335 Engine Series Cylinder Heads (canted valves) onto a Ninety-Degree Engine Series block.

The BOSS 302 used unique cylinder heads (and intake) that will go directly to the Ninety-Degree block with no special machining.

Quote:
much cheaper and easier today to build HP with aftermarket parts
This is a matter of opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CLEVOR Thermostat Housing_2.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	17551  
Old 01-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro_baller4692
don't 302's use a 7/16'' head bolt and a 351 use 1/2'' bolts?
just though if so there might be a problem.
All aftermarket SBF heads have 1/2 in bolt holes and use hardened stepped washers on 7/16 bolt blocks to center the smaller bolts.

Unless you just want the WOW look of the Boss/Clevor, W style heads are better in every aspect.

I'd go for Twisted Wedge or AFR.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:01 AM

Last photo:

Kultulz, no doubt about it, you are a walking encyclopedia of Ford info so I'll ask....

besides the factory drilling the Cleveland heads for coolant flow to work with the Windsor block, and screw in studs and mammmmmmmmoth valves (in 69')....what else is unique to factory Boss 302 (Cleveland) heads?

The Boss 302 block is definitely "special", 4 bolt mains, screw in freeze plugs, etc, etc, which a home built clevor won't have

I've always looked at it as, the Boss 302 is the original "clevor"....after the Cleveland went into production (70'?)....rodder's started building 302 and 351 clevors

Ford trivia: the heads in 69' Boss were "special" cause the Boss 302 was available before the Cleveland motor was released for production and available

footnotes:
07' Ford is releasing a new Boss 302 block...less bucks than the sportsman block (about time!)
(?) Hugh's Performance in (?) Arkansas is still making all the Clevor goodies
Old 01-10-2007, 08:18 AM
Bare Knuckles Champ

Last journal entry: Made a wrench...
Last photo:

Never been a 302 fan, just because my new '67 Cougar is by far the smallest vehicle I've ever had, other than some imported stuff. Certainly have heard about the Boss motors, but didn't know they fell in the Clevor concept. Thanks for the education!

So, does this evolution carry thru to the Boss 429? Break that motor down for me, if ya would. Thanks.

As always, I'm after displacement. There's no replacement!
Old 01-10-2007, 08:25 AM
aka Duke of URL

Quote:

Kultulz, no doubt about it, you are a walking encyclopedia of Ford info so I'll ask....
Most say I am full of it...

Quote:
besides the factory drilling the Cleveland heads for coolant flow to work with the Windsor block, and screw in studs and mammmmmmmmoth valves (in 69')....what else is unique to factory Boss 302 (Cleveland) heads?
NO MACHINING is necessary with BOSS 302 heads as they were OEM installed on the 302. No special aftermarket intake or spacers are required with the retro-fit. The BOSS 302 intake is unique to the BOSS 302 cylinder heads. It already has the coolant provisions.

Quote:
The Boss 302 block is definitely "special", 4 bolt mains, screw in freeze plugs, etc, etc, which a home built clevor won't have
Not necessary for a strret engine. The BOSS 302 was a factory released racing engine, something FORD very seldomly did.

Quote:
I've always looked at it as, the Boss 302 is the original "clevor"....after the Cleveland went into production (70'?)....rodder's started building 302 and 351 clevors

Ford trivia: the heads in 69' Boss were "special" cause the Boss 302 was available before the Cleveland motor was released for production and available
You need to understand. The BOSS 302 heads were copied from the upcoming 335 Series for competition. The 335 was already to be released. Two entirely different engine systems are being discussed here.

Relationship Between Boss 302 and 351C

The Boss 302 is essentially a high-performance Windsor-block engine with “Cleveland” style heads. Boss 302 heads are essentially the same as 351C-4V Boss heads, except cast to accept intake-manifold sourced cooling water and with significantly smaller combustion chambers. 1969 Boss 302 heads used a 2.23” intake valve, with 1970 heads reverting to the 2.19” valve.

Quote:
footnotes:

07' Ford is releasing a new Boss 302 block...less bucks than the sportsman block (about time!)
You don't need the upcoming block/short for street (IMO). I don't know why FORD marketing is referring to it as BOSS 302, as it is only causing confusion.

Quote:
(?) Hugh's Performance in (?) Arkansas is still making all the Clevor goodies
CLEVOR TECH can be found at;

Bush Performance (501-646-9108).

PRICE MOTORSPORTS makes adapters to use about any intake on the CLEVOR.

-THE BOSS 302 STORY-
Old 01-10-2007, 10:01 AM

Last photo:

Derm, Boss 429 is a "FE" series motor, nothing in common with the Windsor/Cleveland Boss 302

not a fan of 302's?

Boss 302's often "wupped" boss 429's in the 1/4...some magazines tested it a a hair quicker, some a hair slower...with 127cu/in less in the same car and gears!
Old 01-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Derm, Boss 429 is a "FE" series motor, nothing in common with the Windsor/Cleveland Boss 302

not a fan of 302's?

Boss 302's often "wupped" boss 429's in the 1/4...some magazines tested it a a hair quicker, some a hair slower...with 127cu/in less in the same car and gears!

Fact but not truth.

Fat heavy engine with skinny tires can't hook up. Small engine wins. Neither one would run better than 14.0s out the door.

Old testing procedures were often vague at best, using a 5th wheel and often 2 people in the car to read the instruments, and not power shifting but driving as real world people did.

With decent exhaust, slicks, and a good "tune", the big Boss was extremely hard to drive but it was "THE BIG BOSS".

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.