Hot Rod Forum banner

Cliffs High Performance ?'s

13K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  E.Furgal 
#1 ·
Does anyone have some first hand experience from this shop? It appears to be outstanding to me (from what I've read). I'm about to send him my carb unless I'm informed otherwise.

I was going to try and tackle the old quadra bog myself but it needs bushings and everything plus I'm currently rebuilding 2 390' s for another tunnel ram project.

I tried a search on here but didn't find what I was hoping for.

#7 ·
Thanks for all the replies, I was quoted $250 plus shipping and any additional parts that may be needed. Still a 6 month wait. I won't be doing much until spring anyway so I'll probably give him a try. It's pretty much a stock rebuilt engine but it does have a cam, headers and intake on it, so I'd like to have it "tailored" to my application.

Thanks for the other links

#8 ·
wow! 250.00! that is a good deal. 6 months seems to be the standard time.

I feel bad since he quoted me 500.00. Maybe I got him mad at me or something. here is his e-mail that he sent to me.

>> Dan, no problem, if you don't mind the wait, I have dozens of good early
>> 70's Chevy cores, that we could build exactly for your application.
>>
>> I can copy the last note and put you in line if you want to order one.
>> It
>> will be $500 plus shipping, ready to run, casting zinc/chromated, small
>> parts plated, calibrated, tested, etc....thanks....Cliff

Oh well, maybe business is slow for him right now so he is lowering the price?????

I would avoid Jet Performance carbs. I had 3 in a row that would not run. kept returning them until I just got tired of sending them back. Now I have a 400.00 piece of junk on my counter. They do weird stuff to their carbs.

#9 ·
Yeah I thought the price was pretty fair. My carb is from '77 maybe that's the differance in price? I'm gonna box it and send it tomarrow. I have to send my brother a package anyway (he's in Iraq). I forgot to ask if this included the APT upgrade oh well.

#10 ·
SSedan

I have to agree with SSedan... GO WITH NATIONALCARBURETORS.COM. They are good people who stand behind thier products. they just swapped me a 3310 750 for a 80457 600 straight up cuz I had a little trouble with the 80457. I wouldn't take my business anywhere else when it comes to carbs!!!!!

#11 ·
I know it has been several days since this post but I wouldn't have anyone but Cliff do a Q-jet. One of the reasons he told you six months is because he is that busy and has that much backlog. As far as a Holley, yes they are a good carb and have ran several myself, Cliff has set up Q-jets that will load the rear tires on launch harder than a well prepped Holley. Have Cliff do your carb.

#15 ·
Even though this thread is almost 4 y/o, it's worth mentioning that Cliff will sell you everything needed to do the same mods he does. Armed w/prior experience, his book, and/or tutorials like this, doing a performance rebuild on a Q-jet is within the reach of almost everyone.

BTW, in addition to his book, he has an active forum of his own- and he answers questions there as well as on the phone. He'll go into as much detail as you can absorb; he doesn't hold back any info.

Another useful book is Rochester Carburetors by Doug Roe: Rochester Carburetors: Doug Roe: 9780895863010: Amazon.com: Books

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.