Hot Rod Forum banner

Clip tool's "How To" info please.

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  rlackey 
#1 ·
I know they confuse me at times and beings that I don't do repair work daily I have a hard time trying to remember how some of these are supposed to be used.
None come with instructions a few with even a picture.
Some have arrow shaped ends,some are just a pick looking end,forks,slots...
I'm SO confused someday's.
I was hoping that our Pro's on here could give us some instructions on how & which tools to properly remove different windshield trims,door & panel trim,body,ect.

Thanks Mike,

#3 ·
Bee4Me said:
Oh well, Back to using a screwdriver. ;)

I'm going to start removing the trim on my 'BEE and it's in good shape and I would like to keep it that way.
Sorry you didn't get any answers. Guess all the guys here use the screwdriver technique too! That's all I have ever used. Oh, and if you have a 50s car, watch for small threaded studs on the trim and nuts on the inside of the panels for some trim. That's when things were assembled with an eye on quality which isn't common today.

#4 ·
Yeah, Guess I kinda proved my point huh? :welcome:
I've used the 'driver plenty and it will work but there is a reason why these tool are made and if you've ever tried to straighten a piece that was unprofessionally removed and was a nice one to start with you know what I mean. My trim is perfect outside of just needing cleaned up and I DON'T want to screw it up by prying around on it.

#5 ·
I know your dilema, but I think it all comes down to patience and not using too much force if something doesn't want to move. I managed to remove all the interior and exterior trim from my '54 Bel Air with a couple screwdrivers of different sizes with no casualties.

Rich :D

#6 ·
Most "trim" as in chrome on a car (any car) of that vintage is going to have screws, studs, to attach it. These tools are usually used or INTERIOR trim like door panels where it is releasing a "christmas tree" style push in retainer.

I use those tools eveyday, 99.9 percent on interior trim.

Brian

#7 ·
Brian, you are quite right, I generalized too much perhaps writing without thinking first. Most if not all of the stainless steel and chrome exterior trim on my Bel Air is held in with studs and bolted from the inside. You are right, now that I remember it was more the interior panels and so forth that used the retainers you speak of, these are the ones I managed to disassemble with screwdrivers without damage.

Hmm, guess it's a good idea to be as accurate and specific as possible when posting, especially tech info.

Rich

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.