Clogged fuel system - need cheap & easy fix - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2006, 11:28 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Clogged fuel system - need cheap & easy fix

In my '56 Mercury that I don't seem to have enough time for these days, I've found that I'm not getting any gas from my half-full gas tank. It's the original gas tank, I have a Holley electric fuel pump, and when I run it, no gas comes out. (The pump runs, as the motor can clearly be heard when power is switched on to it)

I know perfectly well what the right way to fix it is, but I don't have time or money to do things right for now. More than anything else, I just need to be able to move this car under its own power because the FE block engine I have in the front end puts the wheel weight over the limit for my wheel dollys, and I just can't seem to budge it. (No problem with any of the other '55 Mercs)

I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions that wouldn't involve buying things like a Jaz fuel tank or dropping the tank and taking it to be cleaned and coated. I'd be open to trying to clean out the electric pump, but I'd like to know how likely that is to work out since it would be difficult for me to get enough time for that.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2006, 01:46 PM

Last photo:

Your no gas problem could very well be inside the tank if Ford used the gas strainer (some call these parts : Socks) at the end of the pickup tube like Chevy did in 1955/56/57 and I'm sure beyond.

A cheap fix if you really feel it's the gas line, but some length of steel line and run it from the tank to the engine compartment. Any parts store sells stell line just for these situations.

There's also the gas hose like Summit & Jeg's sell that you could run along the frame and replace your existing gas line.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:08 PM

Last photo:

FWIW, the quick fix I've attempted so far because I actually had an hour I could spare by sleeping less was to take an air hose with nozzle and try to blow pressurized air into the fuel line (at the carb attachment) and into the fuel filler, neither of which made a difference.

I really need to take some time to disconnect the hose at the fuel pump to see if fuel comes out so I know if the blockage is downstream of the fuel pump or otherwise.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:10 PM
Where's my Sawzall?

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation
Last journal entry: More progress...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Pull the line between electric pump and fuel tank...

and blow a little compressed air in thru the line to backflush any crud off the sock. You should hear air bubbling up from the filler neck. Use a steel inline filter to put the line back together, to prevent any debris from getting to the pump. You should have gas coming out of the pump by now when it's switched on. If not then either the pump is bad or it's not drawing a prime, maybe a leaky rubber hose atop the tank. Take it back apart at the new filter and drop a short piece of rubber line from that filter into a small gas can and see if the pump will now draw fuel. If so replace the lines to the tank as there is a leak, if not the pump is bad.

The Kustomsledd did this to me once, the tank sock was plugged up. Shooting some air back thru it blew it off the end of the steel line in the tank, where it remained until I pulled the tank and cut out the trunk floor for a new 25 gallon Doc-fabbed tank.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:41 PM

Last journal entry: Journal Update
Last photo:

Line Problems

I had the same problem with my original flat head 6 that was in my truck before it was pulled, All of a sudden, no fuel. Electric pump was pounding away, but nothing comming out. I took my air hose and blew air back into the tank, got the crud out of it. It worked for a little while. Then the pump failed. I pulled the motor and that's the way its been for a while. I agree, if you can free the clog, then run a filter before the pump to capture any debris. Great idea guys!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.