Close fitting, full length SBC header recommendation - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2004, 06:50 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Close fitting, full length SBC header recommendation

I'm building a 37 Chevy Pick-up, using an SBC block and D-port, Angle plug AFR heads. The frame has already got a MII front end welded in, in place of the beam axle. I've looked at Sanderson, S & S, and other sites, as well as different areas around the web (here and on the Stovebolt page). I have been unable to find a set of headers that are equal length and are formed to closely follow along the engine block. Optimally, I'd like something about 35 inches long, with 1 5/8 primaries. I've considered huggers, but don't find them attractive for performance reasons. I've also considered making my own. I've read a lot of stuff that Ed Hinneman sent me a couple of years ago. Shortys may be an answer, but they too are only marginally superior to cast manifolds (no offense intended). Is anyone out there aware of a real header designed to stay close to the block at all times, and which is equal length?

(It's unfortunate that the web sites, and even a lot of the tech support people, can't give you good dimensions related to the installed locations of the headers they are selling. Both Sanderson and S & S offer limited info, but the info on the Sanderson web page for the "A" dimension is actually incorrectly illustrated. Arggghh!) -- That's my diatribe!

Anyway, I'm not afraid to try making the headers, it's just that it's a very large investment in terms of time, and time is precious to all of us working stiffs. Anyway -- I'd appreciate any recommendations that you might offer.

PatM

Advertisement

Last edited by PatM; 11-20-2004 at 12:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2004, 10:36 PM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

I'm not sure if they are what you need but I once had an S-10 with a set of Doug Thorely(sorry for the spelling there Doug!) TRI-Y headers. They were (relativly)equal length, fit close to the block and had the nice 3/8" flanges(chrome on top of that and never leaked! ).
They are rather pricey and I'm not sure of the exact dimensions but they could be just what you are looking for if they come in a D-port style.

Are you having problems clearing your steering box?
Old 11-20-2004, 12:22 PM

Thanks for the reply, NSX

No, it's not the steering box. The MII front end uses a Rack and Piniion, and it's well forward of the engine. The steering SHAFT, however, runs along the inside edge of the frame. I can rearrange the shaft's position somewhat, moving it even closer to the frame rail if necessary, but I think a set of really close headers would do the trick. There really are no other obstructions, since my engine mounts are much smaller than ordinary. I really have a very open environment, except for the frame rails and the steering shaft.

The Tri-Ys are an interesting thought. Though probably not as effective overall as tuned length headers, they are supposed to be good for low end grunt, and once they run through the primary merge, there are only 2 (vs 4) pieces of spaghetti (albeit fatter spagetti) to deal with.

One other thing I suppose I should be concerned about is the potential to pump heat from close fitting headers into the engine block. Did the S10 run warm??

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Pat
Old 11-20-2004, 12:36 PM

Last journal entry: 2 years later
Last photo:

can you get a look at corvette headers(c-3)1968 to 82?? they are real close to the block (i have to change my plugs with a spanner). mike
Old 11-20-2004, 06:07 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

I have a set of these from S&S.........#5205

They do fit rather tight but clear the fastburn angle plug heads.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 11-20-2004, 06:53 PM

Thanks Duece!

I had seen these on the S&S web site (then forgot I had seen them!. . .Old Folks disease.)

But, I wrote to S&S to ask a few questions related to dimensions, and they have not written back. I don't know if they are ordinarily unresponsive, but they have not responded to me. Perhaps I oughta call . . . .

A good thing to do on Monday.

Pat
Old 11-20-2004, 11:08 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

They do a lot better on the phone.
E-mails and letters do not seem to work as well.
I like mine a lot. They are little high $$$ but they are very well made and the coating on them looks great.

I ordered mine and the wait was 6 weeks until I received them.......But the Visa was not hit until they shipped them.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 11-20-2004, 11:48 PM

Terrific, Deuce. And thanks.

Maybe someone else will come up with an alternative, but this header looks like it will work..

Pat

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.