cloudy brake fluid - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2011, 08:29 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

cloudy brake fluid

my 73 vette (manual brakes) has a brake issue. all of a sudden the pedal goes down. so i bleed the brake and sure enough there was air. after words the pedal was stiff and would brake fantastic. but after a couple days back to no braKES. there is no leaks anywhere. fluid is always top of. but its cloudy!!! so i flushed the fluid by opening the valves on the caliper the adding new fluid. and bleeding again. but same porblem. then i replace the master cylinder (bench bleed) and same thing. replace it with again and same thing all over again!!!! any suggestion !!???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2011, 10:59 PM
Captain Obvious

if you replaced the caliper twice then you know that its probably not that. I would search better for a leak or maybe even a bad bleeder? ( ive seen it) put cardboard under the car to make sure its not leaking anywhere.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:18 AM

i havnt replaced the calipers, its the master cylinder i have replaced twice. could it be the proportioning valve??? how could the bleeder be bad???? there is absolutly no leaks from anywhere the brake system ie lines, calipers, master cylinder.....
Old 10-31-2011, 08:29 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I have a similar problem. All my parts are new. I have a little brake fluid showing up at the prop valve. At the back where there is a little rubber cap covering some kinda valve. I don't lose hardly any fluid but the brakes slowly get air in the line and I end up double pumping.Its getting to be a real pain and I want to get another NEW prop vale . I will choose amnother maker. Good luck.
ps... putting paper or cardboard to check for leaks will probably not show much as most of the braking is done when moving down the road.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:06 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

If there's any water in the system, the heat produced at the caliper can cause this water to vaporize, and that results in air in the system and a soft pedal.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:13 AM

capecodbob-i think the prop valve might be our problem. although maybe hick101 is on to something bout the bad bleeder. might replace both front bleeders first and see if that does the trick.

water in line theory might also work but i have flushed the entire brake system by opening one valve bleeder at a time and just pumping the brakes till the master cylinder goes empty. the fill it and on to the next caliper till i flush all 4. i drive for a couple days then NO BRAKES. i do another normal bleed and after a few days back to NO BRAKES. also the fluid get really cloudy to the point that eventually it turns black.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:39 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMARS67
capecodbob
water in line theory might also work but i have flushed the entire brake system by opening one valve bleeder at a time and just pumping the brakes till the master cylinder goes empty. the fill it and on to the next caliper till i flush all 4. i drive for a couple days then NO BRAKES. i do another normal bleed and after a few days back to NO BRAKES. also the fluid get really cloudy to the point that eventually it turns black.
First off, you should never bleed the brakes until the reservoir goes empty, because then you are pumping air back in the brake system. Always refill the reservoir before it gets to less than 1/4" of fluid. Secondly, the fluid turning black tells me that the fluid is getting very hot and burnt. I would check and make sure that you don't have a caliper sticking or the rod on the master cylinder missadjusted not allowing the master cylinder piston to return completely.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:42 AM

SO A COUPLE days ago i replace the two front valve bleeders with new speed bleeders and its braking perfect!!!!! who would have know valve bleeders can go bad.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:45 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
SO A COUPLE days ago i replace the two front valve bleeders with new speed bleeders and its braking perfect!!!!! who would have know valve bleeders can go bad.
Glad that it worked out for you
Old 11-04-2011, 11:12 AM
Captain Obvious

Quote:

glad to see you tried it out and didnt just think me a fool

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.