Hot Rod Forum banner

cloyes timing set

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  4 Jaw Chuck 
#1 ·
A friend purchased a cloyes a 3 key timing set. This is supposed to have a 2 degree retard/advance from 0. However when any of the keyways used besides Tdc don't correspond with the symbols on the crank gear almost as if it's mismarked.
Anyone else have the same issue and what was your option of choice.

#4 ·
That will be 4 degrees crankshaft and 2 degrees camshaft. The gear moves the TDC position does not. The result is the camshaft moves either advanced or retarded in relation to the TDC position which is really a piston position, the crankshaft and damper marks are only representations of the piston's position. It takes a dgree wheel to be sure of what the set up is in degrees of cam position to the crank.

Bogie

#6 ·
That is normal the way it looks. The one symbol is straight up and the other mark is on the spot were the woodruff key goes through it and that shows you were you are at in relation to the camshaft when putting together. Below is a picture of my extra timing chain I have had sitting around and its the same. That is normal.

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
. No, he's showing two sprockets and showing they don't agree on whether the A mark is one or two teeth from the keyway... but are both sprockets for the same engine design... and the same part number? Maybe one is for cams ground advanced or retarded and the other is for cams ground straight up? Smaller cams often ground 4 or 5 degrees advanced, bigger ground straight up... 1970's stock SBC sprockets often have hole champfered on both sides and can be reversed to change from excess advance used on really low compression engines...

#8 ·
Thank you BuzzLOL for explaining, I thought they sent one for a different application as well. They where the same part number. But I'm not sure if the one gear had "R2" and the other had "G1" makes it for different application. The box had the same numbers on it. So I think the gear was not made correct.
Thanks

Attachments

#11 ·
First thing we did was find tdc on crank. We then put in cam and gears straight up and degreed with a degree wheel to just besure.
Now when we went to advance it we put the crank gear on the proper slot for key way and instead of the symbols being off a couple degrees and rotating to line up the symbols, they are still lined up as being straight up.
Now the crank gear only has one symbol per direction not two marks or symbols per direction and this is why I think they're mismarked.
we purchased a zoom set from advance and it was marked perfectly and is a little tighter than the cloyes.
However the cloyes can not be returned once opened, so guess were stuck with it.
Note: ebay is not always a good thing, im just glad I didn't buy it.
Also if I was able to send pics I would but I do everything by phone and am not able to do pictures.
Thanks guys.

#12 ·
Nice quality control.:rolleyes:

Wonder how many others like that floating around out there, an indexed keyway is only the most critical aspect of a timing set...not like its important or anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.